SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work on an XT??

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by: BlueStang

Will SEAL work on an 8088-XT computer running DOS? At one time, I thought I heard it would, but could not find the info here on the homepage.

Thanks!
mlp@dcr.net
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

--------------
Amos -
http://seal.dosos.com/
AIM: AmosVryhof
MSN Messenger: a.m.o.s@juno.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by: BlueStang

OK, then is the "lowest" type system it will work on an 80286 or an 80386? Thanks!
julien

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the minimal is 386

--------------
Julien Etelain - julien@pmad.net
MSN Messenger : julien@pmad.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAL (and SEAL2) needs a math coprocessor, so 386 is the minimal, but only if a math coprocessor exists and since the 386s are too slow i think that the minimal should be defined the '486'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest at LEAST a 486dx2-66. It might run on some older 486 processors, but the dx2-66 is probably the best candidate.

I think there is some FPU emulation code for GNU C floating around somewhere... perhaps with that, Seal could -run- on older 386 systems.

Running would be cool.... running with any kind of performance is not likely. Kinda like runnint Unreal Tournarment on a Pentium 266MMX...it can be done....but poorly.

--------------
Amos -
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember, i had seal1 running on an old 486SX with an FPU emulation module from SetEdit. is that what you mean?

--------------
Email

HomePage

SealStuff

Gallery

MSN: philharper@hotmail.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a TSR that emulates a 387 Math Coprocessor. I used to use it on my Tandy 1000 to make Wolfenstein 3D run. I'll bet it's on Simtel.

I have seen all kinds of emulators
286to386.com
386to486.com
486to586.com (sometimes called pentium.com)

The don't all work together, but it's neat playing that Pentium 0nly program (Quake 1 - P-90 req.) on an Am486dx4-120

--------------
Amos -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by: Iota

i use seal2 on an old 186 i got from my old school and it works fine if not a bit slow i that dose not bother me i use emulators to get the parts of the system that arnt there so a 386 is not the lowest it will run dont liten to them.

i also had win31 running on it as well i know it only has a cga videocard so gfx are not good but try it if you need some thing that is missing from the system i am shore i have an emulator for it some ware

Leon Pegg
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's the same tandy t-1000 i have then it's an 08088 based laptop with a 720KB floppy drive and CGA graphics, firstly, how did you get wolfestein onto it? my T1000 laptop has a ROM to store tandyDOS2.1 on and no other form of storage, secondly, VGA game, CGA adaptor, how?
Quake on a 486, it's minimum spec is 80486-DX2/66 and i've run it on such hardware, so i'm not sure about you need for an emulator, as for Seal2 on an RM-Nimbus 186 machine, i didn't think they were even quite PC compatible, i remember using one in primary school, and they had custom BIOSes and no harddisks, how many changes have you made to allegro to allow it to run at CGA resoloutions?
and please, where can i find these emulators?

--------------

Email

HomePage

SealStuff

Gallery

MSN: philharper@hotmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: