SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CyberLew's General Points

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seal is great but it has a very similar interface to Cube OS. Allegro is not the best graphix library. who want's to make a new seal OS Ditro that will use something other than Allegro and look better. I can do ASM, C#, C++, BASIC, Pascal and some other languages. Porting Seal to ext2fs is a mission but I think it can be done by modifying it's launcher freedos. I will only do this with support

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My E-Mail is cyberlew@blueyonder.co.uk I wrote the above message.
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doing that? You say that allegro isn't good... do you know that quake 1 was written with allegro? What makes allegro so bad?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with Allegro? And porting SEAL away from Allegro will require an almost complete rewrite!

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JGX22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere from these forum's I think posted by a Seal2 user that Michal never listens to advice...Well Allegro is for games not a GUI...anyways, that guy was offering help... And you got mad... You people don't listen to advice either...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CyberLew, we have had this discussion previously. We have looked at various GUI Libraries available on the internet in numerous places. It seems that Allegro is the only graphics/media library that offers the types of functionality Seal needs.

I know you suggest rewriting it from the ground up, but that is not feasable. Seal is a "free time" project, which means a rewrite would be close to impossible in any reasonable amount of time.

If you want to start writing improved media APIs to replace Allegro, it would be possible to do a distribution of Seal without Allegro. I am sure some other developers would help for optimization, or just purely out of curiosity.

If you need anymore info, tips, etc, feel free to post in these forums.

Let Us know what you decide. If you want to start the project, perhaps you can even get your own forum area here.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JGX22. I think you get blinded of your own dislike of the SEAL community. Why do I say that? Because of the fact that this discussion is not new, We've had it before, and as Amos says, we don't know of any better library to build upon...

Why should Allegro be so bad for a GUI? I mean, a game library have graphics and sound libraries... they are written for fast use... Isn't that goals that are similar to what a GUI should thrive for? Be fast and have sound support (among other things...)? The specific GUI-parts that allegro don't (ok, allegro _have_ a GUI lib too...) give, are things that SEAL have... What's the problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-04 08:06, Anonymous wrote:
"Seal is great but it has a very similar interface to Cube OS."

dont you mean Qube? only if you want it to, for the most part it has a similar interface to windows.

"Allegro is not the best graphix library."
granted but it's not the worst either, it does the trick quite nicely.
"who want's to make a new seal OS Ditro that will use something other than Allegro and look better."
by all means, dont let us stop you
"I can do ASM, C#, C++, BASIC, Pascal and some other languages."
good for you
"Porting Seal to ext2fs is a mission but I think it can be done by modifying it's launcher freedos."

and what would that achieve? ext2 is a great high spead file system for stable environments, i'm not saying Seal isn't stable but it has enough problems to cause filesystem corruption, i see absoloutely no reason why you sould want to use Seal2 on DOS with ext2, for a start every dos util will need to be rewritten, everything's different, ext2 is not just another FAT. furthermore, we do not want to modify FreeDOS, we want Seal to run on a wide variety of x86 DOSs, not just a custom one.

"I will only do this with support"

not looking too good so far is it?

Email

HomePage

Gallery

[ This Message was edited by: biggyp on 2002-04-12 06:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: biggyp on 2002-04-12 06:19 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he may get support somewhere... but maybe not here...
cheshire_cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will help you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Programming Related All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: