SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble installing Seal2L
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AMD 486-120 looking to be bought if you want to try it out....

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1st_Timer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owen - I tried Seal again as you suggested with the same result as before; I really need to be able to run an expanded memory manager. I also tried FreeGEM, but couldn't get any colors and had crashes trying to set preferences. Is there a special trick to installing FreeGEM?

Amos - I'm interested in your offer, are we talking about a CPU or a system? Also, would delivery from your location be a problem (I don't know where in the US you are)?

This is becoming quite involved. Between this, trying to teach myself a little programming and starting to delve into Linux, I've set myself up for some serious project time.
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Amos - I'm interested in your offer, are we talking about a CPU or a system? Also, would delivery from your location be a problem (I don't know where in the US you are)?

I am located in NY, just across the great Lakes from you. I am talking about a CPU, but if you want I can build it into a system.

I have some HP Vectras with OnBoard S3 Video, and Networking that can take up to a 100MHz 486, so it wouldn't be at it's full potential, but would be faster than a 66. Unless I just overlooked a jumper to make it do 120MHz.

I also have a whole bunch of extra Pentium-class systems as well....I sell low end pentiums for $65 ea.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1st_Timer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPU alone would be fine, I'm pretty sure I have a couple extra 486 boards around.
The AMD 120's required a 40MHz clock, which was tripled to 120MHz internally. On standard 33MHz systems you would get tripled to 100.

Let me know your price and I'll send you enough to cover purchase and shipping (UPS?), we'll see if we can give that CPU a good home.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-09 07:55, 1st_Timer wrote:
Owen - I tried Seal again as you suggested with the same result as before; I really need to be able to run an expanded memory manager.

Hmmm, in that case, I can't really help you. Sorry.

Quote:

I also tried FreeGEM, but couldn't get any colors and had crashes trying to set preferences. Is there a special trick to installing FreeGEM?

Yes - make sure you install it to the root directory. At the moment, the AES is hard-coded to reading configuration files from GEMAPPSGEMSYS, and always has been for the past 17 years or so... Nobody has changed it (because we're out of space, without going large model or into protected mode).

Hope this helps.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The going price of this (tested) CPU will be $8 plus Shipping and handling.

For an extra $5, I will throw in a Socket 3 board in Like New Condition with PCI Slots. I have no documentation on this board, but know that it is an AT board. Since it has PCI Slots, I will go on a limb and guess that it supports DX4 chips.

1st_Timer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amos - Sold! Use the e-mail address in my profile and send me a mailing address and I'll send you a check (or money order if you prefer) for $25 ($12 should cover ups ground) and a shipping address for me. That CPU and motherboard should make a good combination to start a test system.

Owen - FreeGEM is starting up nicely now, but when I exit any application the system hangs. Should I not be loading any memory managers or nansi.sys ? It looks like a very nice GUI, more robust than Desktop or GeoWorks. I'm starting to think that it's time to move on from this system and start testing FreeDOS and Seal/FreeGEM on a PC with more oomph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: