SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New User Like To Contribute...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: New User Like To Contribute... Reply with quote

Hi there,

Yesterday while I was reading a tweaker's forum on the Internet I came across a link to the seal project. I checked it out and was amazed about the project and the effort people are putting into it.

I wrote an email to owenrudge informing him about my excitement. And offered to dedicate some of my spare time to this project. He replied with an email telling me I should post a message to this forum explaining what my skills are.

I have been working with computers since I was 7 years old. I am now 27 years old. Have been through a small bunch of systems.

ZX81 > Spectrum > C64(geos)/C128(CP/M) > Amiga500 > Mac+ > PC (I never looked into LINUX)

I did have a look at Beos, which is very cool I think. And I love my psion revo+ and it's os and appz.

But I never acquired some specific skills. Nowadays I am very interested in the studio/audio scene and the way it is evolving. (vst + all the cool plugins and other midi/audio tools). Have been following this almost from the beginning and have seen almost every app. ever released.

Although I have no specific skills, I really would like to participate. There must be something I can do.. Right?

Maybe I can translate from English to my own language (Dutch). Or (try!) writing some documentation on certain programs. Or maybe someone has a simple but time consuming job that I can take out of his hands so that he can concentrate on work that fits his level and therefore makes the project roll better.

Or perhaps I can do some pre-research or information gathering if someone could define the parameter. Or even do some sound design for the next SEAL release.

As said before.. I am very impressed. Although I have zero programming experience I think I can imagine the kind of struggle some people are going through.

Please let me know if I can be useful in anyway,

Regards,

Jasper de Haas,

Based in The Netherlands.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!

Translation is certainly something you could do. Documentation is another. You could probably come up with some sound event schemes, etc, for Seal 3.0 too.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to help with the Seal2 Users Guide just let me know.
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also becomming involved in forum discussions is another way to help.
dr_linux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have played with the acid-xpress program to make some cool sounds for seal 3, but it doesn't worked . so it will be great if there is someone like you doing this job
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like to start with the sound event schemes. Next step would be help on the User Guide, but as a newbie i need to learn much more about the system and read the whole forum. So that should come later on.

So for what events should i try to design sounds? And can you inform me about the duration or limitations if there are any.

Translation from English to Dutch is something i can do during my professional work, most of the times i got loads of spare time and i can use my Revo+ for it. Which works very well. Just tell me what i should translate. You can email the parts to me.

Taking part in forum discussions will only be possible if i feel i have some knowledge on the topics.

EMAIL : jdhaas@xs4all.nl
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, your Seals 100th registered User !

Once you get to know Seal better it will be easier for you to help out.
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i noticed... it's such a nice number..

Should i start a new topic for the sound discussion or should we continue here?
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper wrote:

So for what events should i try to design sounds? And can you inform me about the duration or limitations if there are any.

As Seal 3.0 doesn't exist yet, it's hard to answer this question. There probably won't be (m)any limitations, but generally, sounds should be short and not too distractive, although the startup and shutdown sounds can be a bit longer. I'd suggest doing sounds for the following (looking at the Windows list):

• Seal startup
  • Seal shutdown
  • User log off
  • User log on
  • Maximise/restore
  • Minimise
  • Close window
  • Menu open
  • Menu item click

These are only suggestions, and the user should be able to choose what events he/she wants sounds assigned to. If anyone has other ideas, post them.

I'd advise you start a new thread in the Seal 3.0 Development forum - "Sound schemes", or something similar.

BTW, although you are the 100th registered user here, some users were lost in the transition to phpBB, and others never registered, and so on... so you're the 100th registered phpBB 2.0.1 user, but not the 100th SEAL user. I've received a great many e-mails from users who've never posted on the forums, but who have used SEAL and want to express thanks, or have a problem, etc.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i will start a new topic on this. And i can use windows for testing the sounds during design. And other people can do so too once i have finished them. Never did it before so it should be fun..
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow or the next day i will start the Topic, i first want to organise my thoughts about the way i will start the topic. As i believe sound is an integral important part...

For example listen to that annoying *ping* sound when you click something in windows that you're not supposed to. Made me several times loose the fun behind my computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: