SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multimedia API planning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Multimedia API planning Reply with quote

This thread is for planning the multimedia API (ie, sound - digital audio and MIDI, and possibly video and joystick). The keyboard API can also be planned here.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Sound Reply with quote

I think we need to use a Sound library that supports more sound formats, and more sound cards.

I know Allegro does alot of this, but it is too generalized. We need a library that is more focused on Just sound for Sound, and Just video for video.

Since Seal 1.0, it has had difficulty with PCI Sound cards of any type. This is because Allegro does not support them well. This is a problem that needs to be taken care of if Seal wants to run on modern systems!

So, if anyone has any suggestions for Sound or Video libraries, I think that is where we should Start.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think you are right about this... I will go look some
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CronoXG2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound Reply with quote

Amos Vryhof wrote:
I think we need to use a Sound library that supports more sound formats, and more sound cards.

I know Allegro does alot of this, but it is too generalized. We need a library that is more focused on Just sound for Sound, and Just video for video.

Since Seal 1.0, it has had difficulty with PCI Sound cards of any type. This is because Allegro does not support them well. This is a problem that needs to be taken care of if Seal wants to run on modern systems!

So, if anyone has any suggestions for Sound or Video libraries, I think that is where we should Start.

What about using SoX? It converts sound files between audio formats and supports a large number of audio formats.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think we should have a system kind of like the Windows multimedia system, but simpler, with an audio compression manager, video compression manager, etc, and then higher-level functions. We could convert parts of sox to ACM drivers, which WAV reading routines (or ASF routines - I have a Microsoft document somewhere on the ASF format (WMA and WMV files are ASF), and xine can read ASF files) could use, as well as AVI routines, etc.

ganesh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An API with many drivers. Something like this (assuming SFA)

Code:

sfa_load_sound ( "sound.wav" , flags);
sfa_load_sound ( "song.mp3" , flags );

This _should_ be the way. Anyway, I have no interest in this kind of API.
dr_linux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a codec-manager for encoding and decoding would be great. and every codec should decode it to a generic format, so that you can convert everything in an easy way. and this not only for video and audio, also for pictures, textfiles, cad (vectore pictures), databases, ... (is there something else?)
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the codecs would decode to PCM, and encode from PCM, for those that support encoding.

dr_linux wrote:
and this not only for video and audio, also for pictures, textfiles, cad (vectore pictures), databases, ... (is there something else?)

If, some time in the future, we ever do get some form of WINE or whatever running on SEAL, I have some code so we can optionally use Microsoft document converters (kind of like xine, a Linux video player, uses WINE to hook into Windows video decoders it doesn't support itself). Just a thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: