SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technology Preview 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ganesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Technology Preview 5 Reply with quote

Here it is, feature rich, _almost_ programmable.

Code:

ChangeLog

2.80.0 - Preview 5.0
=======================

+Fixed bugs in screen bitmap drawing (Lukas)
+New skinned stkSlider widget (Björn Hallström)
+Debugging messages with namespace
+Three key salute to kill SEAL [CTRL-ALT-BKSP] (disabled)
+Removed obselete skin_state widget global
+Fixes to zorder (tough !! had to rewrite)
+Fixed bug in combobox, (crashed when no items present)
+Removed all console printfs
+Support for Win32 Dlls in smodule (not complete)
+Added list_insert_at(..) for sfcList
+Fixes for FreeBSD
+New stkCanvas widget
+Major rewrite of Font System, widgets get the fonts from registry
+New VFS function to get list of files in a dir
+New features to stkWindow (Björn Hallström)
+New MenuBar widget
+Rewrote stkMenu and stkMenuItem
+Small desktop demo
+New gradient skin (Björn Hallström)

ganesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release Notes
==========

Menus are 100% translucent, Lukas was working on them, but I had to rewrite the widget...

No other resolution other than 800x600 is supported, this is being fixed.

If SEAL crashes before you exit, your debug file is left empty. This is because the text is cached, and written only at the end and you never reach the end.

You can set the style of fonts by adding appropriate settings in the registry. Only defaults are used right now. (size 12)

The zorder need more tweaks, this was my third rewrite, and I found bugs with list_sort(...). Windows dont come on top when you click them.

Windows dont close when you click close. close signal is supported but not handled, simple.

Maximum size fills the whole screen. FK is working on it (and I have not _found_ out a way to provide an API yet)

Dont know how to make Windows DLL, Linux apps are already possible. I will be writing a calculator or notepad soon.

stkTextBox is the bug sack. Crashes every second click. Working on it.

DJGPP does not support a _findnext(), _findfirst() API. Dont know it findfirst and findnext works. Somebody has to test it.

Try putting any number of files or directories in /system/menu/*, and the desktop should correctly load them. Thats VFS list function.

FK sent me a new skin yesterday, and it looks cool. If you want the old look, just swap the two skin file names in /system/skin/..

Keyboard support in ComboBox, try using the cursor keys on the combo box...

SEAL right now is programmed with XKeys in mind. The widget that has the cursor is the one with the focus. No mouse, stuck...Will change

There is a small wallpaper in /system/bg/. Convert it to bmp and see.

I guess thats all, the rest of Preview 5 will just be bug fixes, no new features.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to download it! I won't be able to do much with it until tomorrow night or Sunday at the earliest however, then I'll get some work done with it.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have a go at adapdting bumble bee to work with this one some time over the weekend.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOS-binaries as usual at:

www.student.lu.se/~kem01bha/seal/binary.zip

biggyp: just remember that the "normal" button is the "over" button, and the "over" button is the "normal" button. i thought this bug was fixed, but it's here again

ganesh: please fix the above. by changing line 162 in button.cpp from if (focus) to if (!focus)

this release is really cool. it's almost usable! one thing that struck me, though, is how unresponsive this version is. in earlier releases everything was very responsive, now when you click a button you'll have to wait half-a-second or so before anything happens. any idea what causes this, ganesh?
ganesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

biggyp: just remember that the "normal" button is the "over" button, and the "over" button is the "normal" button. i thought this bug was fixed, but it's here again

ganesh: please fix the above. by changing line 162 in button.cpp from if (focus) to if (!focus)

I remember fixing it sometime back, or was it my dream ??

Quote:

this release is really cool. it's almost usable! one thing that struck me, though, is how unresponsive this version is. in earlier releases everything was very responsive, now when you click a button you'll have to wait half-a-second or so before anything happens. any idea what causes this, ganesh?

This is serious. This should _not_ happen. Could you exactly point out the issue. I have seen findnext(), findfirst() API being 6-8 times slower on DJGPP than the _findfirst() and _findnext API counterparts on MINGW. There is one more alternative, using diropen() and dirread(). Will have to do real benchmarks.

Is it unresponsive with the windows binary too ?? I dont know because I use a 1.8 GHz machine for my work. So everything is fast.

Does DJGPP support compiling with profiling? Try compiling with -pg.
Ill post the results of my profile here tommorow.
Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganesh wrote:
Quote:

I remember fixing it sometime back, or was it my dream ??

I think it's my fault. First I fixed it in a bad way, then I fixed it the right way, and I forgot to tell you to remove the old fix. So it was kind of a double fix.

ganesh wrote:
Quote:
one thing that struck me, though, is how unresponsive this version is.

This is serious. This should _not_ happen. Could you exactly point out the issue. I have seen findnext(), findfirst() API being 6-8 times slower on DJGPP than the _findfirst() and _findnext API counterparts on MINGW. There is one more alternative, using diropen() and dirread(). Will have to do real benchmarks.

Is it unresponsive with the windows binary too ?? I dont know because I use a 1.8 GHz machine for my work. So everything is fast.

I didn't try the windows binaries before, but now that I did they were very responsive, just like the older versions. So, it's probably the findfirst/next problem that you're talking about. I also noticed now that the DJGPP-version doesn't manage to show the directories in the desktop menu. Only shutdown.lnk is shown. That's probably a related problem. I'll look into it later.

ganesh wrote:
Does DJGPP support compiling with profiling? Try compiling with -pg.
Ill post the results of my profile here tommorow.

Don't know if it supports profiling. I tried compiling with -pg, but the binaries just crashed all the time... I'll try again...
DaNo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmz, if I click the + button, a menu pops up (its transparent) and does not go away. I can click any button, but it still keeps where it was. And if I maximise a window, it even goes over the SEAL-bar
Further it is quite nice.

Programmer of the DaNoOS: http://home.planet.nl/~esch0090
Alf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen Shot Here http://www.anycities.com/junkpile/
hustedt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not such a good shot...
Where is the nice watercolour-wallpaper?!
(I would post another shot, but somehow my system does not like the mingw-version and I don't know how to make a screenshot in the DOS-version.

My new site!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had problems with the mingw-version too. but it worked when I changed the color depth of Windows to 24bit (seal's should still be 16bit). tell me if it works for you.

yes, that watercolor wallpaper is really pretty.
axis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preview5 is veeeery cool!!
Just a pitty I couldn't run it from plain DOS due to a General protection fault.
I transcribe it for you to see it. Maybe is something very simple. (hope so!)

-----------------------------------------------
Code:

General protection fault at eip=e75 ; flags=2
eax=00000020 ebx=00000000 ecx=0000 General protection fault in AMCB at eip=e75; flags=2
eax=00000020 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000
esi=0001ce10 edi=ffffff9c ebp=00000000 esp=00002672
cs=10 ds=30 es=b7 fs=0 gs=0 ss=20 error=0000

------------------------------------------------
/*I'm not sure if every 0 should be replaced by an 8, 'cause the font was very small and I had to handwrite it because the machine freezes when this occurs.
If zero has a slash (like old DOS fonts) maybe it's 0, else 8!!
*/

BTW, I downloaded "the desktop" and it's very cool, but makes Seal crash when I right-click on some icons like my cd-rom drive!!!
Do you know if I can fix that??
ganesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if the compiled executable was with debugging info, but the next time to core dumps, try

Code:

symify seal.exe

This will tell you exactly the line where it crashes. BTW, it will segfault is run directly from the zip file, it need the "root" folder.

Quote:

/*I'm not sure if every 0 should be replaced by an 8, 'cause the font was very small and I had to handwrite it because the machine freezes when this occurs.
If zero has a slash (like old DOS fonts) maybe it's 0, else 8!!
*/

Dont know, maybe it cant find the font ?? VFS->LocalFS has a problem with DJGPP API. This is a direct relation to not seeing any subfolders in the desktop menu. Will be fixed (before Preview 6)

Quote:

BTW, I downloaded "the desktop" and it's very cool, but makes Seal crash when I right-click on some icons like my cd-rom drive!!!
Do you know if I can fix that??

SEAL 3 doesnt have a desktop yet. I wouldnt call the one compiled into the executable a "Desktop". May what you are talking of is Seal 2.x ??
axis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dont know if the compiled executable was with debugging info

mmno, I'm afraid it hadn't. But I will try the symify.
About the font, well, I don't think it couldn't find it 'cause the font that showed the general protection etc. was the same cyan font seal2 used when it crashed and it's seal's loading font (isn't it?).

And "the desktop", I'm sorry it's seal2, you were right, but think biggyp told me (sorry if it was someone else) about it and I tried it. And since I found it pretty cool, well, I tried to find some help or maybe posting an user experience! [/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: