SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SEAL as GUI for my own OS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaNo wrote:
Well, I am currently adding FAT12 support for DaNoOS 0.15, and 0.20 will have it's own filesystem, the DFS. Anyway, 0.15 will be 16-bit (real mode) and 0.20 will be 32-bit.

to change from a filesystem that almost all other OSes support to a filesystem that only your OS support isn't a clever choice...

DaNo wrote:
it works, but not when there are no characters that can be removed

erm... it's obvious that Robomod tried to write something first before pressing the backspace key... well, if he didn't then shame on him

Robomod wrote:
BadSector your small os is verry good i like it
(tested on my laptop)

thanks, but isn't anything special. I made it a very long time ago. If i was going to make an OS today it would be a lot better..

Robomod wrote:
The backspace key works

why it shouldn't? As i said LR/OS, even if small, is a complete operating system.

Robomod wrote:
I know some c programming and a tiny bit of asm,you know where i can pick up a good Nasm tutorial ?

no. I just read NASM's documentation (and a question to all: why everybody wants to find a "good book" or a "gook tutorial" for a language/compiler when this lang/comp already has very detailed documentation ? This happens very ofter and with many of my friends too...")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
usotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CronoXG2 wrote:

Yes, although the author can relicense the code under another license, the code licensed under the GPL will always be available and remain licensed under the GPL (which is different from becoming public domain. Basically you'd have GPLed and non-GPLed code that is the same).

But can you retroactively un-gpl everything? I remember there was a little thing about GPL or Stencl license over SEAL 2...

CronoXG2 wrote:

So in the end, one considering making their software open source or free software should seriously consider the BSD license or something similar (e.g. MIT License), since it provides true freedom to everyone to use, copy, modify, and sell a piece of software.

I agree, and I use the BSD license for RMF-DOS and Dapple.

CronoXG2 wrote:

Of course proprietary software wouldn't be nearly as bad if software copyrights only lasted 4 years before software became public domain and (much more limited) software patents only lasted 2 years. That, along with the legalization of reverse engineering (so long as none of the techniques used are patented), would help the entire industry.

I agree with you, although I say 5 years for both.

CronoXG2 wrote:

GPL does NOT MEAN FREEWARE. It means Free Software (as in Libre Software, not Gratis Software). It also does not mean non-commercial distribution. You can charge whatever you want for the distribution of the software. Since commercial distribution is the distribution of software for profit, this means that you can commercially distribute Free Software.

We need a word like "libert" in the English language. Japanese's "jiy" works too Mr Green
usotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggyp wrote:
well, i wouldn't expect it to use a command.com internal to get directory listings, however it does go through DOS since it doesn't mount the FAT partition and read/write it directly...

or more correctly through DPMI, which hands it off to DOS...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: