SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Color Reversal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Color Reversal Reply with quote

I've been playing with some graphics, and I noticed something really weird. Any time I use graphics in png format or from a png graphic (i.e. icons), my browns turn blue and my blues turn brown. I had a background that had brown in it, and as a png, the brown turned blue. However, as a jpg, it came out normal. I also have some icons that I made from png files (converted to ico), and I had the same problem. If it were just the background, I would just assume that it had something to do with the way Seal handles png's, but since the icons do it too, I'm pretty stumped. Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on. I'm officially confused?

Last edited by oyama26 on Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: libpng Reply with quote

Sounds like libpng is using a different colormap than libjpg, I can't remember who contributed the dlx version of libpng, since it was a long time ago (1.0a,b,c days before ezboard). Maybe a newer version would fix the issue.

I have never tried a PNG file in Seal, so I haven't experienced this problem....my wallpapers were all Jpeg.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right. No big deal. Not by far our biggest problem at this point, but I will look into a newer version of libpng. Hopefully that will straighten things out. I work with a lot of png's and it's kind of a hassle. I've been trying to make the desktop look a little more up to date, and the color switching has been kind of frustrating. I'll report back if I come up with something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

always flatten your PNGs, a stray alpha channel seems to cause colour inversion, or was it gamma chunk, ah well, one of those.

not sure what's going on with your icons...

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought of that, but I always flatten my png's, and that still wouldn't account for the icons. Maybe it's some weird incompatability between the video driver and my graphics chip. I don't know, it's pretty bizarre. Maybe the problem only exists on my machine. Does anyone else want to give them a try? I can email the files or post them somewhere.
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you using to generate your PNGs? i use http://www.gimp.org/ personally, photoshop always used to produce strange PNGs

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I'm using the Windows port, I'm not sure what you may have. I know the Windows port is kind of screwy, but I still can't explain the icons, because they show up normal in Windows. They would have to be converted, and anything left over from the PNG files would be converted too. Would you care to check out the images to see if you have the same problem? I'll email them to you, if you wish.
biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use it on win32 and linux, 1.2.5 and 1.3.12, there's a link to the binaries for that(not actually isntaller packaged yet, in the win32 forum at GUG, send the images to phil@vmlinuz.freeserve.co.uk and i'll take a look

Gallery

oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil. I've been dying to check out a new version of gimp for Windows. I emailed you the images to see if you have the same problem with them. Let me know what you come up with.
biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the wallpaper has an alpha channel, having flattened and resaved it works fine, as for the icon that is bizare, i personally don't much like the idea of using windows ico format in SEAL2 icons, i don't think it would take much to switch them to PNGs. how did you generate the Icon? PNG2ICO? furthermore i can't open the ICO with GIMP, all other SEAL2 icos can be opened.

Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: