SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did you learn to program?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntsw01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: How did you learn to program? Reply with quote

I'm learning C++ but I don't have a very good idea of what it can do yet and what material to learn from in order to learn stuff external to the STL so I was just wondering what everyone else learned how to program from?

If you have read any tutorials or books that you think would help me learn C++ then please say so, mention anything and everything that you think I could use to learn C++.

I already know how to use "gpp program_name.cpp" but thats about it so I could use a tutorial on using BJGPP and GCC. I am on the last chapter of "Learn to program with C++" by John Smiley and I am about to start reading "The C++ programming language, third edition" by Bjarne Stroustrup but I don't think that will give me much of an idea of what C++ can do outside of the STL. I do preffer platform independant libraries requiring little more then a few modifications at most along with a recompile to get it to work on a different platform and I want to be able to eventually write programs for SEAL and Linux as well as possibly Qube and Windows. I also want to know how to write my own device drivers and how to write modular programs.

Just another side note, for programming in Windows and Linux I'm more interested in Qt rather then GTK or motif.
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJGPP is GCC, but for DOS, ok?

Well, you could go to www.cprogramming.com and look at their C/C++ tutorials... I learned by using various books, and a LOT of trial and error...

And last, good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ntsw01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_xduffy_ wrote:
DJGPP is GCC, but for DOS, ok?

Well, you could go to www.cprogramming.com and look at their C/C++ tutorials... I learned by using various books, and a LOT of trial and error...

And last, good luck!

I understand the part about DJGPP being the same as GCC, thats why I'm looking for a tutorial on either as whatever works with one should work with the other, right?

I learn better from books, tutorials are also nice but I find it hard to read from a computer monitor. Could you list some books you found especially good for learning ANSI C++ (not necessarily particular to the STL though as I already have two books on it).

One more thing could you point out tutorials for programming in SEAL if there are any?

Thanks
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand the part about DJGPP being the same as GCC, thats why I'm looking for a tutorial on either as whatever works with one should work with the other, right?

Yes, as long as you don't try f.e. network programming, or doing multitasking. For such things you need extra libraries, but i suppose it's not really what you want to do right now...

Quote:
I learn better from books, tutorials are also nice but I find it hard to read from a computer monitor. Could you list some books you found especially good for learning ANSI C++ (not necessarily particular to the STL though as I already have two books on it).

I liked "Learn C++ in 21 days" very much. Haven't used it much, but I found it very nice...

Quote:
One more thing could you point out tutorials for programming in SEAL if there are any?

http://hem.passagen.se/sealfiles/frameset.htm
But the tutorials is for Seal 1 I think, and so is the documentation. But there's a lot of things that still works... So read it

Good Luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ntsw01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, I'm not fond of the learn * in 21 day's kind of books but I'll look at its rank, reviews and table of contents on Amazon and then decide weather or not to read it. I was also hoping some other people who frequent the seal forums could make suggestions as I want to be sure that I know as much as I can about ANSI C++ and other C++ complatible libraries aside from the STL.

If I get good enough at programming I may try to get into a project like Seal or Qube, so far I have been planning and prototyping my own desktop system in Java but java is not the best language for such a complicated program and I think that I could learn a lot from working on a project such as Seal which I would otherwise not learn from any book or programming course.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned C (not C++) from "Teach Yourself C Programming In 21 Days", by Peter Aitken and someone else whose name I can't remember (Sams Publishing). If you look at amazon.com, it's on there - I reviewed it a few years ago and found it recently when going a search for "Owen Rudge" (I know, I know ).

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to program when I was 6 years old on a Texas Instruments Home Computer that saved to cassette tape instead of floppies. I was using BASIC (not VB, but the original BASIC). I then moved on to hardware and web/graphic design, putting programming on the back burner. If only I had kept up with programming I wouldn't have so much to catch up on now. Oh, well...

P.S., I know this doesn't really apply, I just thought I'd throw it in for good measure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ntsw01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oyama26 wrote:
I learned to program when I was 6 years old on a Texas Instruments Home Computer that saved to cassette tape instead of floppies. I was using BASIC (not VB, but the original BASIC). I then moved on to hardware and web/graphic design, putting programming on the back burner. If only I had kept up with programming I wouldn't have so much to catch up on now. Oh, well...

P.S., I know this doesn't really apply, I just thought I'd throw it in for good measure.

I wasn't around back then but I did look at several old programming languages, I'm guessing they are more powerfull because they have been around longer and as such have had more time to develop. There is a book on basic here somewhere as well as one on C, one on assembly and several on Pascal. Neither of the books are very up to date, the basic, assembly and C ones predate windows altogether while the pascal ones cover programming under windows 3.1, I havn't bothered to read any of them. I have a few books on Java but I havn't read two of them, one dealing with networking and the other with p2p programming, I also have two books on C++ which I'm pretty sure I already mentioned in this thread and while I have finished reading the first one I still don't know enough C++ to write anything usefull.

BTW. What languages aside from C and C++ are compatible with FreeDOS and SEAL/Qube?
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in theory you might be able to use assembly of freepascal, but i wouldn't bother really, i'd stick with C personally, it's the only language besides BASIC that i know any of myself, but not enough to do anything too complicated.

can C++ be used for SEAL2 programming?

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ntsw01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggyp wrote:
in theory you might be able to use assembly of freepascal, but i wouldn't bother really, i'd stick with C personally, it's the only language besides BASIC that i know any of myself, but not enough to do anything too complicated.

I would assume it can be used for seal2 programming, it can use C libraries and if I'm not mistaken its supposed to be backwards compatible.
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: C++ For Seal 2 Reply with quote

If you can get it working with the Seal API, and DLX, you should be able to. I think we had this discussion before in another forum (maybe the ezboard forum?)

I don't know if anyone has tried, but I also know that someone was working on C++ classes to work with the Seal API.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C++ can be used in SEAL apps - I was using C++ for SealAmp. Now, where did I put SealAmp... *me goes off to hunt for it*

EDIT: Found it. Some of SealAmp was in C, and some in C++, but what I'd done is created a Button class, which encapsulated the button control. The main SealAmp.cpp file could then create buttons quite easily, and it was a bit neater than using the C method. It wasn't absolutely necessary, of course, but that's the way I decided to do it.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
ntsw01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggyp wrote:

Well you shouldn't be to worried about how well you know C++ when you consider that I just finished reading my first C++ book and I can't do much more then mathematical operations and console input/output.
I do have a basic understanding of pointers though

I'm hoping to find some good books to learn C++, I remember in the kde forums and code newbie forums the only book suggested was Thinking in C++ which if it is anything like Thinking in Java is little more then the basics of the programming language made to sound as if they are advanced or difficult programming concepts. I did hear that Thinking in Java was not one of Bruce Eckels better books though so I'm still considering getting Thinking in C++.
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the long run it all boils down to trial and error, real experience....

Yes Amos, I was working on it, but I hardly got anywhere before I started work on The Desktop... So it's not usable or really interesting... I never got that far, but of course, it would be possible to write something like that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Programming Related All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: