SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Refresh Rates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Video Refresh Rates Reply with quote

Is there any conceivable way to change the video refresh rate? I don't know if maybe it could be done with allegro or if something would need to be done with the VESA driver. The programmers here would certainly know better than I if and how this could be done, or if something in the source code would need to be changed. All I know is the 60 Hz or whatever rate is the default is killin' my eyes. (I'm kind of a baby about refresh rates, sorry) Not a major problem, just wondering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Refresh rates Reply with quote

I am sure it's not implimented in Seal, but if your looking to refine the Seal 2 graphics routines (being the maintainer now, that is within your power) perhaps http://docs.mandragor.org/files/Common_libs_documentation/allegro/index008.html will help you?

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'm right on it. Screen flicker gives me a major headache, as I'm sure it does others, too. Plus, I can probably straighten out a few other things while I'm at it. I'm sure there will be a few other questions to follow as I delve into this, but thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Allegro manual:

Quote:

void request_refresh_rate(int rate);
Requests that the next call to set_gfx_mode() try to use the specified refresh rate, if possible. Not all drivers are able to control this at all, and even when they can, not all rates will be possible on all hardware, so the actual settings may differ from what you requested. After you call set_gfx_mode(), you can use get_refresh_rate() to find out what was actually selected. At the moment only the DOS VESA 3.0, X DGA 2.0 and some Windows DirectX drivers support this function. The speed is specified in Hz, eg. 60, 70. To return to the normal default selection, pass a rate value of zero.

So basically, stick:

request_refresh_rate(85);

or whatever before the set_gfx_mode line, and Allegro will try and use that refresh rate. There's no guarantee it'll succeed though, of course.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I had in mind. Do you happen to know which file set_gfx_mode is in, just to save me some time? I've also been looking into improving some of the other graphics routines, possibly adding a little animation to make it feel a bit smoother. Of course, I'm looking into providing better stability to the program as a whole primarily. I've got a lot to catch up on.
biggyp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would suggest leaving anything cosmetic on the back burner for now, concentrating on stability and speed would be best.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know, the cosmetic stuff is just an afterthought. I like to try to take everything into account so that I can plan accordingly. I like strategy, and try to look a few steps ahead. Stability and speed are definitely my top priorities at this point.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oyama26 wrote:
That's what I had in mind. Do you happen to know which file set_gfx_mode is in, just to save me some time? I've also been looking into improving some of the other graphics routines, possibly adding a little animation to make it feel a bit smoother. Of course, I'm looking into providing better stability to the program as a whole primarily. I've got a lot to catch up on.

If you haven't already found it, it's in src/alleg/newscr.c, line 917.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it, thanks anyway. I'd like to start trying a few things, but I'm still sorting out my compiler issues. Hopefully when I get that worked out, it'll all fall into place. This whole compiler matter seems to be a common problem. I'll see what I can do about getting it to compile on a newer version of gcc, especially so that new developers can be more productive faster.
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try leon's compiler package at http://sealsystem.sourceforge.net/bgp/compiler/ it should be ready to use(well that's what he said)

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
w_w_n_uk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my compiler package is designed for seal apps only it cant produce fully working dos programs only seal. but it dose use the latested ver of djgpp.
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone will add me to the project, i have complete djgpp that works all zipped on my computer.. i can upload them.. it even has allegro..

that way it is easier to work with..

now that i have cable, it will make things a lot easier

sf login: digibliss

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: