SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unsupported device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntsw01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Unsupported device Reply with quote

I have an intel i810 video card which is integrated I have noticed that its not easy to find drivers, in fact at one point even Ark Linux didn't support it. I think that the lack of a compatible driver may be the cause of a problem I have been having with Seal in which starting the screensaver or exiting seal causes the system to lock up, I have also noticed this with Qube and I was wondering if Seal would at some point support my video card or if it really isn't my video card/driver that is causing this problem. Anyone else in the list using an i810 video card that can confirm or deny as to weather or not it really is my video card/driver?
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: VESA Reply with quote

It looks like this could be an issue with your card supporting VESA, since neither Seal nor Qube use hardware-specific video drivers.

You might want to google for a universal VESA driver, like UniVBE or SciTek Display Doctor.

There is also a UNIVESA.EXE out there somewhere that fixes problems with some cards (always seemed to work with my old Trident cards)

Hope this helps.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ntsw01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the drivers automatically work after being installed or is there something I have to do to get them to work with seal?

BTW. If you don't mind my asking is seal still under development, there doesn't seem to have been much activity with seal in a while and as far as I can tell qube hasn't been worked on since 2001. I am interested in writing software for qube but the seal documentation is much more complete
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure about the drivers as I'm still catching up with everything, but the answer to your other question is YES, Seal is still under development. Things have been kind of slow lately, but hopefully they will pick up pretty soon. I just took over as maintainer of the project recently, and I've got a few ideas to help move things forward with the help of the others that are still active in the project. If you can program, I encourage you to work with Seal. We desperately need as many programmers as we can get, and the group is still fairly active. I think some new code could really help to motivate everyone. With that said, there is plenty to be done if you're looking for something to do. Feel free to browse the forums and you will find plenty of ideas for things that need worked on. If you have any questions or anything, you can contact me and I will try to fill you in on what's been going on. Anything you can contribute would be greatly appreciated, I assure you, and welcome aboard!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ntsw01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, FreeDOS doesn't seem to like being booted from lilo so now I am running seal from Win98se and it works much better. I'm still a newbie to C++ so it may be a while before I am writing anything usefull but hopefully it shouldn't take long to learn how to use the Seal API. Best of luck with Seal .
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntsw01 wrote:
Will the drivers automatically work after being installed or is there something I have to do to get them to work with seal?

According to the Allegro F.A.Q., all you need to do is load the VESA driver first. It's a TSR, and it's supposed to translate any VESA calls made to calls your video card can handle.

I'll keep an eye out for any clues... a good place to check (but often takes awhile to search) is Google Groups, there is alot of good stuff there.

(or you can use XNews and look in each group yourself)

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigSealGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: SNAP for DOS/Seal ? Reply with quote

http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/embedded/snap_industrial.html

http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/devel/snap_sdk_2.1-r10-dos.zip

http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/devel/snap_sdk_2.1-r10-docs.zip

http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/embedded/mgl_download/mgl_down.html

http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/embedded/mgl_download/mgl_dos_down.html

http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/embedded/sdk_download/snap_sdk_download.html

Are these the Scitech drivers you are talking about ?
biggyp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll notice that they're not free or opensource.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigSealGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: True! Reply with quote

Very true, they are not open source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: