SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the fish,the seal, and the spider
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grym

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- XIXWYRMEXIX: You`ve got it! (but how on earth do you come up with that nick? Mr Green )
XIXWYRMEXIX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its always been my nick... from around 10 years back or so... by the way ill be bringing up 2-3 dedicated dos boxes within a day or two... to use as test beds for various forms of dos and dos gui's with seal in particular in mind... also have you looked at free dos32..? i know its in its infancy but the idea is a very cool one...
Grym

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, FreeDOS32 is something I have been looking at, also RDOS, RxDOS, OpenDOS, FreeDOS, NeoDOS and ReactOS.

ReactOS and FD32 looks really nice, and I would love to use them , but what worries me is two things: both are in "early stage development", and then it is the compiler-issue, they must be bale to run more than one compiler (C, C++ and Pascal, minimum).

But later, when they are more mature, I guess it should not be to hard to get them runnig the new system/gui...
ReactOS is in that case most tempting.

At the moment I`m trying to tap together some new graphic-librarys based on allegro (writing both for C and Pas at the same time, to be shure both languages can use them), I`m trying to do this in such a way that it`s possible to expand and improve as we see fit at a later point. Doing things in FreeDOS for now. However Allegro is quite complex (at least for me) so it`s not at the speed of light... Mr Green

By the way, what`s your preference of programming-language?
My self I`m an old Bc++ and Delphi-dude, and somewhat familiar with C and TP, with really no useful projects to show for my self ...
pimpinaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea as a really effiecient shell for DOS. As long as SEAL stays small and efficient. My project machines are an old thinkpad (75Mhz) and a toshiba of the same speed. The Dillo browser is very tempting because of the small size of it.
If and when SEAL 3.0 comes out maybe the developers of it should approach DELL computers, or maybe someplace like Retrobox.com to distribute the program and packages around to get the word out about SEAL. Say if the corporation would pay the costs for CDs and include them in their systems as a low cost alternative to windows.
XIXWYRMEXIX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive also been looking into those dos versions grym... as well as pts-dos... and yes i was thinkin about the dos32 in a distant future... as i said earlier i know its still in its infancy... i too am concentrating on dos at the moment... just bringing up possibilities for future reference... and as you stated and i was thinking "in the future" just thinking of at least taking them into consideration... i havent settled on an actual dos version yet to concentrate on which is part of the reason im setting up some of the test beds... and dont worry about speed of progress... i have some relearning to do... just reenrolled in college for my old computer science major... one reason i am interested in seal and dos... to help me relearn some of the old skills in preparation for the coming school years ahead... as far as languages go im partial to c++, and c... though recently ive been wanting to learn assembly for the x86... and personally pimp im all for small and efficient... thats the idea for me personally and im sure grym would agree... and the dillo browser is very tempting... i like what i read about it...
Grym

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDOS is the way to go, especially when it comes to Netwroking.

It might require some asm-knowledge , but I`ll try to get a dialog going with the Developer (Leif) and see if I can git him to to build a Installation-distro of this DOS for us to play with ( I`m not very found of distros where one have to manually set up grub etc.)

But if any of you are willing to do the job, we don`t have to bother him...

Btw: I will be offline for a couple of weeks as of from Dec 1. but after that I hope to get My 1Gb-line installed, so that I can host a server for mailing-list, forum etc, if we think we need one.

I see this forum only as a resource of knowledge, not as a place to be, especially since I do not belive in SEAL 3, but rather would like to start all over again, based on the knowledge we can gather from SEAL, If someone ever will continue to develop SEAL that will be nice, but I`m not interested in that.

nextgen@start.no <-- I can be contacted at this mail any time, even if this forum dissapears or I get kicked out for some reason.
XIXWYRMEXIX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill look closer into r-dos today... and i agree with you i do not believe in seal three either as it stands... or rather doesnt... im more interested in starting over again as well... theres no active development on it anyway... and most of the recent forum activity has been genrated by us...
Grym

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... and most of the recent forum activity has been genrated by us...

yup...

Pimpinaman: what do you say, want to play with us, or are your fetish more in the direction of a SEAL-salvage?

Btw: anyone else that wants to play?
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, this is what I've been waiting to see. Some people who are actually interested in programming and developing SEAL. In case any of you newbies aren't familiar with me, I accepted the maintainer position back in the summer. I read the forums regularly, but haven't been posting lately due to the fact that no one has been actively developing. I've made several attempts to find more programmers, but it seems that most aren't interested. I must say that it is encouraging to see some new faces around here and I would like you to know that you have my full support. If there is anything you need that I can be of help with, please let me know.

Just so you know where I stand, my expertise is focused on administrative and conceptual work. I don't program, but I can do just about anything else.

Welcome aboard!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pimpinaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for something new. I don't want to offend the time and passion the original developers time and effort that has been put into SEAL, being that this is their forums. Very interested in a new development, but as I've said before I have NO programming skills, but I am very interested in OSs and interfaces other than making MS any richer. Let me know what I can do to aid the cause
XIXWYRMEXIX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx oyama... and we arnt offending the original devs pimp considering they arnt actively developing on this anyway and what we intend is based on seal anyway... just rethinking some of the structures of it... we are just wanting certain features to be available from the outset as outlined in some of gryms posts... ive been discussing some of the options with grym via email and setting up here for the task... getting a decent plan going on this... and checking out different options... ill continue to use this forum as well as email with grym to exchange information and ideas... ill be posting again soon...
poundsmack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell if there is gona be a big wave of development i am in just give the word hehe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ucosty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am back after a good holiday so now for some more development

>> My version of seal is (awful) progressing slowly.

Anyway getting a handle on what needs to be done is a step in the right direction. I am trying to help with the development but i'm quite inexperienced with this.

-ucosty
poundsmack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to BadSector he is going ot be the new oficial maintaner going to do seal 3 mabey insted of you doing seal 4 you could help him and the 2 of you could do some awsome work for the good of the project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poundsmack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ucosty: go to this thread
http://sealsystem.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1095
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: