SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seal and an old laptop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pimpinaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: seal and an old laptop Reply with quote

Hello all,

I need a little assistance here. I'm wanting to use seal on an old IBM Thinkpad 755cx. The problem I keep running into after I downloaded the binary is that the program is too large for the floppy. After I format a disk it only leaves 1.38Mb. Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
I'm really looking forward to using that systemX skin and converting the former windows95 laptop to a fun machine.

Thanks in advance
BigSealGuy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Pkzip to the Rescu! Reply with quote

You could use Pkzip (for Windows ) to zip the files to a couple of floppy disks. You could use Pkzip for DOS (IIRC - it is still available from http://www.pkware.com ) to unzip the mutliple diskette of the file to the hard drive (it is how I zipped and unzipped it to an older hard drive on an older IBM Thinkpad 755Cs).
pimpinaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: thanks for that Reply with quote

I'll definately look into that zip program. The file is already zipped when you download the binaries. Can you zip it again? And do you know of a freeware alternative? Trying to keep the laptop cost effective without having to revert back to Windows.

Another question regarding SEAL. SEAl is a gui for DOS correct? So all DOS programs can run with SEAL running correct? Sort of a Windows-esque interface for DOS? Or is SEAL it's own OS with specific stuff that it will only run (like MENUET)?
I wanting to use SEAL for its graphical qualities, and use DOS based programs. I just found some info on Arachne for internet use, and there is a ton of freeware DOS games sites out there. I figured DOS was around before Windows, so there has to be stuff out there for DOS that can do almost everything Windows does. The Linux learning curve is a little steep as of yet, so I think SEAL would be a nice transition from Windows before moving on to Linux (getting used to command line orientation).
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Seal is DOS-based not anything else, it is not it's own OS, though some people have asked for that (which is a silly idea).

You can use the command line version of pkzip on your old laptop to unpack the zip... and you can use winzip or pkzip or something on your main machine to cut the zip into to parts, so it will fit two floppies... yes that is possible.. disk spanning I think it's called in winzip... then copy the two files to your laptop and run pkunzip on them and you will get your Seal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
angry beaver z

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bar file is the biggest. unzip all the files on your 'new' computer zip the .bar file and all the rest in seperate zip files put the bar file on one disk and the other zip file on tha other disk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: