SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important: This forum will be removed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Important: This forum will be removed Reply with quote

This forum will be removed. I mean phpBB.

This will happen when the new site is uploaded, probably not earlier than after one or two months. But it's better to know it.

A new forum will be available with the new site, which will be a part of the site. I strongly believe that this looks more professional. I may be wrong, but remember; i said that i'll not be that democratic with XSeal!

The two forums will coexist as a transition phase for a while, but this one will be removed.

Another reason for the removal of this forum is that many users are looking for the old versions of SEAL, which are not developed any more. This makes users stick to old SEAL. And this is bad.

The new site will have a common useraccount system. A user will be able to log in and post to the forums (later more things will be added, like a place where developers will be able to post sites with XSeal applications; prefferably their, or other things).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing our lovely forum... *sniff*

Just make sure you back it up (the database and the files). Stick them all in a tarball, and let me get them, for archival purposes.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and will this be some featurepacked phpBB2 equivalent forum integrated with a CMS, or something you're writing yourself?

not that a self built system won't be just as functional of course.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@owen:
I haven't -yet- touched the HTML pages... everything is gonna be removed (for cleanup - things got trashed there) when i'll upload the new page (which still i haven't wrote).

I believe that you know the structure and what is needed from there better than me. So i'm leaving it to you to tarball it .

@biggyp:
Mine. You can check it out at nervebreak's homepage (http://nervebreak.sourceforge.net/). At the time i'm writing these lines, i have an updated version on my HDD, but i forgot to bring it with me . Anyway. Until the new site is up, i don't believe that there will be missing features (excluding those who noone uses, or those who are not needed - like personal messages; why e-mail exists?). In the new forum you'll be able to attach code (like patches, f.e.) to posts (up to 32KB) for developing purposes. I'm currently testing this on my HDD, then on NerveBreak and lastly -when the new site... blahblah- on XSeal.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadSector wrote:
@owen:
I believe that you know the structure and what is needed from there better than me. So i'm leaving it to you to tarball it .

OK, well, give me plenty of notice beforehand.

Quote:
excluding those who noone uses, or those who are not needed - like personal messages; why e-mail exists?)

Hmmm, I have quite a lot of PMs in my savebox. People do use them. Besides, not everybody has their e-mail address for public display (with good reason too, what with all the spam flying about these days).

Quote:
In the new forum you'll be able to attach code (like patches, f.e.) to posts (up to 32KB) for developing purposes.

phpBB + attachment mod can do that. phpBB 2.2, out by the end of the year, will also have that built in.

I think phpBB, integrated into the site design with a good template, would be just as good, if not better, than a custom forum. (Wiping the forum and/or retaining the old one as an archive might be a good idea though).

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by having "our" code for the forum, we can do things that we'll be "afraid" to do if we use phpBB. A simple example is to put syntax highlighting and automatic link creation for XSeal functions (which will lead to the XSeal's online documentation). Doing that we're doomed to the version we modified, since if we want to upgrade, we'll have to remake the modifications.

Also personally i dislike using 3rd party stuff where i can use mine (except if i feel too lazy to implement them - but a forum is an easy task).

PMs can be implemented if you like (it's very easy). But a "send a message to that person with the hidden e-mail address" form would be better, i suppose (like Jim Hall's form in FreeDOS page).

phpBB is good for fan communities and similar, but for a project that wants to look 'professional', it is not an option. It's way too overused . Let's be original (now don't comment the fact that my forum looks too much like phpBB - it just happens phpBB to have one of the best layouts [notice that i don't say 'interfaces' - i don't like phpBB's interface] i ever seen to a forum).

Anyway, Owen, i'll send you an e-mail, an ICQ message, a PM (hehehe) and i'll make a big fat post here 1 week before i drop the old site .
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Gawab.com Reply with quote

Ok, I have 3 domains. For each domain, I have E-Mail.

It cost me a total of $40 US for all three domains and E-Mail for all of them. That is inclusing a paid hosting service for one of the domains.

Use Gawab.com Webmaster E-Mail. It's very good, has spam blocking, you can give users up to 15Mb of space each, and there are multiple themes.

I have it integrated into two of the pages: http://www.linuxtorrent.com/ (no that's not really slashdot) and http://www.stockdaledivision.us/

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offtpic here, but, LinuxTorrent looks interesting, we're planning a release of TheOpenCD in the next week or so, would you be interested, or are you strictly Linux BTs?

Gallery

Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: TheOpenCD Reply with quote

First, it's a very small website, only has 25Mb to work with since it is a Netfirms account (free hosting). I wouldn't be able to host an ISO, or a tracker.

Second, I would gladly host a torrent file for TheOpenCD... Part of the site's scope is cross-platform interoperability. I actually promote TheOpenCD in the (partially finnished) Cross-Platform HOWTO.

When you make your release, just E-Mail the info to avryhof@linuxtorrent.com and I will add it to the front page.

(Haven't really done any publicity for the site yet)

biggyp

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, a torrent would do the trick for now, i'll see about giving you a link back as well, help promote the site a little.

Gallery

Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner the site is gone, the better, it is a security risk, if you check the news, you see why. BTW, that was not me who happily posted that.

And yes, I am still around, good to see BadSector is actively reworking seal.

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Pruning/Security Reply with quote

I did some pruning for the Sourceforge Developers list. I removed inactive people. Florian, Julien, etc.

If you were on the list, but are no longer and want to be, let me know. I dont think I removed anyone who has been posting actively.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: