SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Many Questions about DOS, MS DOS, and Seal.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ebenonce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Many Questions about DOS, MS DOS, and Seal. Reply with quote

Hello, I run windows XP. from what I understand, XP DOS is not REAL dos. but I wish this clarified.

If it is possible to use seal with XP dos, then how does one boot into dos without the windows shell? In earlier 9x versions it was REALLY easy...now it's like..I have no idea.

if there is a way to boot into the Dos that come with XP, how do I install Seal? Will seal conflict with anything else?

If any of this is not possible, will I have to create a new partition, create a new entry in my MBR to boot a version of DOS?

as you can see, I'm totally lost, please help.
X86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Many Questions about DOS, MS DOS, and Seal Reply with quote

Firstly to Dual Boot MSDOS 6.22 and XP, you need to install MSDOS first unless you use a 3rd party boot manager:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306559

You are correct that MSDOS is an emulation in Windows XP / Windows 2000 / NT4 / NT3 as they are based on IBM OS/2 NOT MS/PC DOS.

I have found an interesting article referencing the "Emulation" of MSDOS in NT4 and it also applies to W2K and XP.

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/226/03/1.html

MSDOS is a great standalone O/S just like XP and as far as I am concerned trying to mix the two is fraught with dangers. I believe software called DOSBOX will run most DOS software though personally have never used it.

Good luck.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: