SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heyo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PathagenX2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Heyo Reply with quote

The whole GPL thing means that we could not really distribute SEAL* with either DrDOS or MSDOS, doesn't it? Anyway, we would really need FreeDOS, even though it is an inferior kernel, so that we can fix bugs - What is the point of developing anything while blind?

As for all of these developments that everyone wants done.. I feel there is only two viable options: Break a deal with TSX-32, or start developing for Linux, as kernel-side, everything is in active development, (see DOSQube Vs LinuxQube).

At any rate, the desire to have SEAL usable is far from thin - Just look at the constant complaints and Questions from users about the state of SEAL development. I feel that BadSector's attempts and redoing SEAL into SEALX are noble, but it seems that there is noone to help him with his roadmap..

John Carmack just told the world that instead of starting another corporate lead game, he is to redo Quake2 and do it properly, saving time and frustration. Is this a possibilaty with SEAL? I don't want to dimean the work of the project manager, but it is hard to see that if you are actually doing any project management.

My plan, not demanded:
>SEAL2 or 1 or BadSEAL, stripped back. All unstable candy removed and the current code optimized and debugged for the current FreeDOS kernel.
>Then, using existing GPL *DOS resources, a basic network/ppp system created. With that, the core needed applications developed, so that a user can use SEAL while it is being developed..
>NAIM,NIRC,NICQ (or similar ncurses IM client) used as a template for coding to create a usable IM client.
>DOSLynx or similar text only web browser used as template for SEAL web browser. Yes BadSEAL had its own HTML reader, but it was slower then anything I have ever seen and enjoyed showing me the fastest way to get back to the Command Prompt.
>Text based IM client used as template for SEALMail.

If going the linux way, then the first steps would be easier:
>Port, debug and optimize for Linux Kernel 2.*.*
>SVGALib used for video.
>Task Management dropped out and left to the kernel.
>A console built for SEAL.

Tizz all C baby.

Also, please someone delete my PathagenX account - I seem to have forgotten the email account and password that I used.
scl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: too much needed to little Reply with quote

If I can dig out my old StarSEAL disks from years ago I'm more than sure you could use my PPP as a code base.
It's simple but I'm more than sure a more experienced developer can make use of my code.
I'll be releasing all my code, as I have no need for it anymore.

Callum x
PathagenX2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Yay Reply with quote

Yay!
It may be old, but it is better then nothing!

I will get right on it after I have resetup my computer.

Thanks - I did like StarSEAL too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: