SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ERROR : not supported ... try to initializing in new ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alicdima

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: ERROR : not supported ... try to initializing in new ... Reply with quote

I'm trying to run Seal in Virtual PC (Connectix). Just to do the same test, I ran seal in windows 2000, same error received. It opens up, white screen, the bar indicator is 60% or so completed and the disk activity dies. when viewing the seal.dbg file, this is what I get.

- Start Virtual File System 1.00 ...
- Prepare Default V Drive
- Create Dos drives ...
- Drive a:\ installed as /a/
- Drive c:\ installed as /c/
- Drive e:\ installed as /e/
- Drive f:\ installed as /f/
- Initializing SEAL 2.00.11

- Start registry.

- Install Allegro.
System informations :
CPU
vendor : GenuineIntel
family : 15 Model : 14
fpu : 2 mmx : 4 3dnow :0
OS
name : WNT
version : -1 revision : -1

- Initialise drivers.

...initializing screen from registry with those parameters :
- depth: 8 bits per pixel (256 colors)
- width: 640
- height: 480

ERROR : not supported ... try to initializing in new resolution - depth: 8 bits per pixel (256 colors)
- width: 640
- height: 480

ERROR: Your card does not support the default resolution of 640x480 in 256 colours
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alicdima

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: seems as though it's really related to my vesa compatibility Reply with quote

http://www.elys.com/software/vesa/#chips

I ran the video doctor from scitech and it says I don't have SVGA.

I have onboard intel based video. Still trying to figure this out...

On the other note:

What's the difference between the way windows sees video drivers and Seal or Linux. It's as if windows is the easiest OS to install, as it finds everything, even if there's an issue with the driver, it will install the basic driver to get you going in safe mode.

Why is it that we don't have such simplicity in other OSes that out there for free? Is it just a case of resources or is it because it's still all in the development phases or both? Or is it because these other OSes are for techies who should figures things out rather than basic users?

Just wondering, as I'd love to see other OSes available and easily installable, but something seems to go wrong, and it always seems more difficult than getting Windows installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alicdima

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Testing, Testing and Testing Reply with quote

Alright, I guess answering your own questions is a quest worth attempting.

I tested a few things and adjusted things until I got back to the same level where I started from and miraculously it loads further now. This time I am able to load, but due to sound issues it stops.

So I'll go view some other posts on sound, as I saw some resolutions posted by other people.

Funny thing is that when I run safemode, it still tells me that there's an issue with the video (Depth), but if I run seal.exe and look in seal.dbg after a reboot, I see a completely different set of details in the log file, where it does say that "screen is ok".

Go figure, it's only a second day for me trying this out, so it's normal (coming from my linux experience, it's always normal to run into issues for the first little while).

Cheers
alicdima

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: sound issue Reply with quote

File Edit Search View Options Help
旼컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴 C:\SEAL2\SEAL.DBG 컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴컴

- Start Virtual File System 1.00 ...
- Prepare Default V Drive
- Create Dos drives ...
- Drive a:\ installed as /a/
- Drive c:\ installed as /c/
- Drive r:\ installed as /r/
- Drive z:\ installed as /z/
- Initializing SEAL 2.00.11

- Start registry.

- Install Allegro.
System informations :
CPU
vendor : GenuineIntel
family : 15 Model : 14
fpu : 2 mmx : 4 3dnow :0
OS
name :
version : 6 revision : 22

- Install text n122 ( id 'TXT_CENTER' ) as "centre"
- Install text n123 ( id 'TXT_WALLPAPER' ) as "Wallpaper"
- Install text n124 ( id 'TXT_WALLPAPER_ALIGN' ) as "Display"
- Install text n125 ( id 'TXT_DESKTOP_WALLPAPER' ) as "Desktop Wallpaper"
- Install text n126 ( id 'TXT_SCREEN_SAVER' ) as "Screen Saver"
- Install text n127 ( id 'TXT_TEST' ) as "test"
- Install text n128 ( id 'TXT_WAIT__SEC_' ) as "Wait (sec)"
- Install text n129 ( id 'TXT_GRAPHICS_EFFECTS_AND_SKINS' ) as "Graphics Ef
- Install text n130 ( id 'TXT_SKIN_SELECTROR' ) as "Skin Selector"
- Install text n131 ( id 'TXT_TRANSLUCIDE_LEVEL' ) as "Transparency Level"
- Install text n132 ( id 'TXT_PREVIEW' ) as "Preview"
- Install text n133 ( id 'TXT_COMPUTER' ) as "Computer"
- Install text n134 ( id 'TXT_SCREEN_DEFINITION' ) as "Screen Resolution"
- Install text n135 ( id 'TXT_SCREEN_SIZE' ) as "Screen Size"
- Install text n136 ( id 'TXT_SCREEN_DEPTH' ) as "Screen Depth"
- Install text n137 ( id 'TXT_SCREEN_DBL_BUFFER_INFO' ) as "Use double-buff
- Install text n138 ( id 'TXT_RESTART' ) as "Restart"
Drivers :: Load the libexportable.
쿞ound init: init sound...
쿞ound init: voices reserved.
쿞ound init: Installing sound...
alicdima

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF anyone will take a look at this before I resolve this problem, lol, then you'll see that the issue is with sound now...

I have excluded the sfa's by removing the entries completely from the registry with regedit.

No change so far.
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: seems as though it's really related to my vesa compatibi Reply with quote

alicdima wrote:
http://www.elys.com/software/vesa/#chips

I ran the video doctor from scitech and it says I don't have SVGA.

I have onboard intel based video. Still trying to figure this out...

On the other note:

are you running windows NT inside virtual PC?
if so give up and install 98, you can run on NT, but not terribly well, if at all, i succesfully ran in win2k with VMware, but it was terribly slow http://www.geocities.com/pipthewomble/stuff/seal2000.jpg and the virtual machine OS was win98's DOS.

Quote:

What's the difference between the way windows sees video drivers and Seal or Linux. It's as if windows is the easiest OS to install, as it finds everything, even if there's an issue with the driver, it will install the basic driver to get you going in safe mode.

this tends to be the case with any modern Linux distro as well, in fact linux tends to have better support for unsupported cards.

Quote:

Why is it that we don't have such simplicity in other OSes that out there for free? Is it just a case of resources or is it because it's still all in the development phases or both? Or is it because these other OSes are for techies who should figures things out rather than basic users?

mainly, i think, because the systems have always been intended for the more techy users, i personally like that, but it puts a lot of users off, the other side of it is mainly down to maturity, windows on the desktop has been around for years, but linux hasn't had it's GUIs for that long, and has only quite recently got to a truly usable level from the POV of an end user,

Quote:

Just wondering, as I'd love to see other OSes available and easily installable, but something seems to go wrong, and it always seems more difficult than getting Windows installed.

if linux installation were automated to the extent that windows' is then i'm sure it would be just as easy to install, one big problem is package management and library usage, that tends to be my biggest headache, but with a constantly developing OS(and everything else) that's to be expected. all the technology needed to produce a flawless desktop installation is there, but unfortunately not all in the one distro.

if you're looking for an easy to use alternative system you could try lindows or lycoris, these are very much targeted at beginners, the next big 3 to try, if you find the first 2 too restrictive, would be Mandrake, Redhat, and Suse, in that order.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: