SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maintainer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Maintainer Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Well, I've realized that I wont have much time over for Seal during the summer either and I'm quite sure the autumn will be the same, so I suppose it would be good to leave the maintainer post over to someone with the right spirit and the time...

I can stay as maintainer until we find someone else...

I would like to stay as councelor or something like that.
I can help out with the forums and stuff...
And someday I would like to program for Seal again, but that wont be today anyway...

/david
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the deal. I'm not much of a programmer, but there is an abundance of programmers around here, so that's not really a problem. I do, however, have a very good understanding of how pcs, operating systems, and software work.
I've been following SEAL now for about a year, and think it is an excellent concept. The problem, though, which I'm sure everyone knows, is a general lack of organization. That's what I can do. I've noticed that documentation is hard to come by, and there isn't really a cohesive direction that the software is headed in. My proposal is to streamline the whole operation and make it more accessible to new users and programmers.
I've found that it is very difficult to get introduced to SEAL because its history is not available and the only documentation to be found is by searching through forum posts. I would hate to see the SEAL project dissolve in such a way, due to administration problems. Most of the news on the project that I've seen in the past year is political news within the group, not development news. This obviously does not make for very productive development.
To sum things up, what I am willing to do is offer my organizational skills and become an administrator to the project. Again, I'm not a wizard with source code, but maybe this project needs someone who isn't busy writing code to keep the whole thing together. Therefore, I am offering my services as an administrator to straighten this whole thing out and get the programmers back to development with a clear direction. In addition, I am very effective at finding people to fill needed positions in programming so that things can run smoothly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poundsmack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i am sold...oyama26 seems to have a good point i think with some organazation we could get this going again......i say he take over......but i have a few questions for you oyama26. 1.) have you worked on any projects simalar or of the same size as seal, if u were to take control u have to head up quite a few developers (that don't seem ot be active).
2.) what is the extent of your coding abilities, u say they r not great so how good are they.
3.) when can you start hehe.
it sounds like a good proposal i think that any delevopment is good and if he says he can do it i am willing to let him see what he can do (not that i have any say in it still being a newbe) but what have we got to loose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I think this is a good idea I would prefer it to be someone that has been with Seal for a while, that knows how things work (even if they can't program), know how to fix problems when new users are looking for help. Someone maybe like Phil?

Btw, after reading some of the posts in these forums while I was away, ive decided to do a bit of work on my Users Guide to help with technical problems.
w_w_n_uk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is just a segestion but how about a co mantainer ship one person is the main mantainer and the other is ther for when the other cant help is is unavalible.
i would be willing to work with oyama26 on mantaining seal as a backup if for some reason he cant help or gose away.
this is just an idea.
i have folowed seal since seal 1 thro to seal 2 i have never been an active poster till seal 2 in 2002 when i felt i could help.
also so i am an active developer of seal software.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to recent posts, I would like to reiterate that I have been following SEAL quite closely for the past year, but I haven't posted to the forum or anything because I found that development was not really moving much. My main reason for jumping in right now is that I really do love SEAL, and I don't want to see it come to an end due to lack of organization. I am fine with the concept of a co-maintainer, and would actually prefer it that way. I realize that this is a rather large undertaking, and although I've not been in charge of a project of this magnitude before, I'm up for the challenge. If need be, in the future, I would even be willing to recruit or appoint people to head up certain aspects of the project to keep things rolling smoothly. I would like to see this move ahead, and it seems to me that this would be the best way to make that happen.

In answer to your questions, poundsmack:

1.) I am not really a programmer, nor do I pretend to be. I do, however, have a good working knowledge of C/C++ and compiling binaries, so I can certainly understand what is going on with the software. Additionally, I am very skilled with DOS and Win98, and since there is a strong functional similarity between SEAL and Win98, I can definitely be of help. As I see it, the fact that I am not exactly a programmer can be one of my best assets to the team. Without actively working on source code, I will have the time to orchestrate the developers and make sure that things are headed in the right direction. I strongly believe that in order for this to work, that is what is needed.

I am also a web designer/graphics designer/pc tech, so I do have some skills to bring to the table besides my limited coding ability.

2.) Pretty much answered above.

3.) I can start right away. I've got one other project brewing (a CMS), but that doesn't monopolize my time.

I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poundsmack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw we give the co-maintaning a shot all infavor simple post a reply saying "yes"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poundsmack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way my special skill is publicity....i am a member of at least 100 forums and i can get the word around for looking for programers or for some publicity for SEAl you name it.
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i see Darragh suggested me, i'm not gonna say yay, choose me, if people want me to help in that capacity i will, but we will see.

it's nice of you to volunteer your time to help here, we need as much time as we can get here, it'd be good to see a few more opinions on the matter though.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to jump in here quick and say a few things. Ultimately, my decision to volunteer my work here is out of a desire to see SEAL move forward. I've been very excited about it since I first learned of its existence, but have been disappointed in the lack of progress. As much as I would love to hone my leadership skills by taking over as maintainer of the project, if someone else is more willing or better suited to fill the position, I encourage them to step forward. If so, my offer still stands to help in any capacity I can. If not, however, I really am excited by the prospect of pulling this thing together. I enjoy solving problems and see this as a great opportunity for me to develop collaboration strategies and breathe some new life into this work. Again, if no one else is willing to take on the position, I encourage you to give me a chance. Worst case scenario is that things don't go anywhere and we reconfigure, but I don't see that happening if I should take up the helm. If it turns out to be more than I am prepared to handle, we won't be any further behind than we are now and we can appoint someone else or find some supplementary help. Either way, what is there to lose?
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm love to see a new release sometime soon, i'd like to get my XFCsEal skin out.

Gallery

BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: xxx Reply with quote

Vote me and you'll have free donats every morning...

c'mon... you need just a timeline that says what to do and who is doing it and some good programmers to follow it.
biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, kostas, long time no see, you planning on comming back and helping out, or just offering a little guidance? either way, good to hear from you again.

Gallery

Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Maintainership Reply with quote

The timeline idea is a good one....perhaps set Milestones similar to Mozilla, that way it would be easy to decide what is a major and minor release.

If/When a new maintainer is chosen, please inform me, since I am still the Unix admin for the project site on Sourceforge. I can add you on as a developer, and give needed power to users. Just get a Sourceforge account, and let me know youe username so I can admin you in to the list.

BTW: Great to hear from you Kostas, what have you been up to?

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a nuisance, but I was just wondering if any more consideration has been given to this matter. I am very serious about this offer, and would like to know where everyone stands on the issue. If everyone is reluctant to let me take over as maintainer, I understand completely. I would still love to have the opportunity, but sometimes these things require careful consideration. Another route that may be considered if I am not chosen is that I may choose to begin my own SEAL distro and start development on my own. This way, I can conduct the development the way I would like to see it done without conflicting with the interests of the main project. Should I decide to take this course of action, anyone currently involved in the development of SEAL is welcome and encouraged to help out. I would also like to keep it tied in with the current project so that we can borrow from each other's progress and keep things from diverging too much. In any event, I am very anxious to get down to business and get things moving. Anyone who has an opinion in favor of or against my offer is encouraged to voice it so that a course of action can be decided upon.

Thank you for your time,

oyama26
Shayne Parrish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: