SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maintainer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe if you tell us exactly what you are going to do, it might help. And don't say 'leadership skills' because you have already told us that much.
biggyp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darragh McNally wrote:
Well maybe if you tell us exactly what you are going to do, it might help. And don't say 'leadership skills' because you have already told us that much.

yep, what he said...

with an aditional, why would you want to fork it, if you want to make changes, make them, show them to us, see what kind of reactions you get, any development is likely to be embraced around here, and you don't need to be maintainer to do it, Leon for example is doing some helpfull things and he's not even a member of the SF project

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyama, I want to ask you, do you have the time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you all for your responses to my post, and you have brought up some valid points. Essentially, what I can bring to the table is some order. I've stated several times before that I'm not much of a programmer, but I will help with the programming in any way I can if need be. What I've been trying to get across is that it can be difficult for someone who is actively involved in programming to organize all aspects of a project as well. It then stands to reason that the person who is guiding the project should have minimal involvement in the programming so they can devote their time to administration. In answer to your question, _xduffy_, yes, I do have the time and certainly the spirit to make this work.
To be more specific, what I would like to see is for the project to be divided up into separate units. Each unit would have programmers working on that particular aspect of the software so that they can have some level of focus. This way, the different pieces could be worked through to completion, and we could finally see things moving forward. Also, I think we need to assign some priority to what needs worked on. Seal 3 was being developed but seems to have come to a halt. We should try to get this to at least a stable point and get a few of the bugs worked out. Then, something that I feel would be very beneficial is networking support. I know this is a major undertaking, but the payoff would be well worth it. With network support and a decent browser, we could all do more work from within the Seal interface and it would be more attractive to new users. Let's face it, these days, no one is interested in using a GUI with no network capability. After that, we could focus on getting a decent amount of working apps and refining the program itself. This would bring us close to a mature release.
My idea for forking the code was only brought up because it would give me the necessary admin controls to let me assign tasks and recruit members. Upon further consideration, I've realized there would be little benefit from that.
I really don't need to be the maintainer to be helpful to the project, I was simply offering because _xduffy_ expressed that he would like to step down. Again, I just want to see this go somewhere and thought I could be of help. If you would rather I do something else to help out instead, please let me know.

Best regards,

Shayne Parrish
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd be happy for oyama to become a maintainer, I think - he seems a sensible person. I'm still Technical Administrator and basically co-maintainer, and where I can help, I will, but I am still quite busy.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will stay around and maybe of some help...
I could step back to be some kind of co-maintainer, since I have some knowledge and I have the same thoughts about Seal as oyama, but that's just and idea...

Greets...

I am willing to support oyama as maintainer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very encouraging to see that both orudge and _xduffy_ are in support of me. Of course, I understand that this is by no means a dictatorship, and that any major decisions are to be discussed before they go into effect. If anyone else would like to voice their support or objection to me becoming the maintainer, I would be happy to hear from them. If not, though, I say we take the necessary steps to make it official. My SF name is parrish, if you would like to add me to the SourceForge project (sorry, I forgot to include that in my last post). I would also love for some others to become co-maintainers. This would add a bit of much-needed hierarchy to the administration team and would help to keep things in order and moving forward. Again, I would like to thank everyone for their support and hope to hear back soon with the final verdict.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lukas139

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i pop here in a long time, and what do i see? At least some activity. I must say oyama's words sound good. I say you make him maintainer, at least someone will be active and SEAL will move on.

Bye, luky.
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am in favor for oyama26, he seems suitable, and i would like to see what he can do to the project..

seal has suffered a lot, and i can hope someone can return it to the present..

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
w_w_n_uk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i is in favor to.
also i would like to become part of the sourceforge site as well cant get hold of amos like xduffy asked me to .
just out of intrest do you think there should be an orginsational chart for seal???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, well, it's good to have him around, and it'll be nice to see what you can do, but i don't know that he needs to be maintainer for his role as an organiser to work, i can't think of anything he'd need that status for, if you want to prove yourself to us i think the best way is to just sit down and start doing something to improve the state of seal.

i hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but i do like experience in a maintainer, on that basis i might even suggest myself for that role

Gallery

Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil, you always have liked to see people with expirence, for once, i think that we have someone that is dedicated, is that not enough, SEAL has had trouble with dedication (no offense to the old maintainers), i say give it to him and see what he does..

you have expirence, and you are active.. so you could be next if he fails.. at least this sounds fair to me...

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I would like to thank Lukas, Leon, and Ryan for their support. I also thank Phil for his opinion, although I'm uncertain why he is so opposed to my offer. He does, however, have far more experience with SEAL than I do, and has contributed far more at this point than I. What I don't understand though, Phil, is why you are so concerned with who the maintainer is. _xduffy_ has expressed that he no longer has time for the position, and it seems that no one else but me is interested. In fact, you're the only other person who has shown an interest in taking the role. With all due respect, however, you have not officially declared that you would like to do it. I don't view this as a contest. If you would like to take over, you are most likely more suitable than I, and if you have the time and dedication, why don't you offer to become the new maintainer? I would still be more than willing to help out in any capacity you like and will still attempt to do all that I have offered. It's just that the group has displayed a need, and I think that takes precedence over development for the time being. Once the technicalities are out of the way, we can all get to work. This (and other related topics) are the only ones that have really shown any discussion in the past week, so it appears to me that this matter is the top priority at this point. If you choose not to extend your willingness to fill the position right now, that is fine. I could take my shot, see how it works out, and as Ryan said, if I can't cut it, maybe you could reconsider. After all, just because I would be the maintainer doesn't make me ruler of all things SEAL. I'm not hung up on a title. I just view the role of maintainer as the person who guides the group and oversees the project. That is exactly what I have proposed to do.

To keep things in perspective, the tone of this post is intended to be objective, not critical. Please don't let it be misinterpreted as a challenge. If someone who is more experienced or has contributed more to the group would like to take the job, please make it known. However, I am still interested and my offer still stands.
poundsmack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's got my vote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're not hung up on the title you may as well start work now, i'm not directly opposed to your offer, but i fail to see why the title of maintainer is so important, if you have interest in helping SEAL and the community then please, do it, you have to understand my mis-trust for new community members, ever since Callum i haven't exactly been too welcomming, but once you start to get to work and prove yourself to be trustworthy you will have my support.

i'm not saying i don't want to be maintainer, but i don't have any Allegro programming skills at all, only plain old C, i'm reasonably good at organising people, but there may be people here who aren't terribly fond of me, on that basis, you've got no history with these people, so that may work better.

anyway, please, do whatever you think is best.

Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: