SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which source?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Which source? Reply with quote

Ok, one of the problems I've noticed is that we are working on two different source codes, supposedly for the same project. Has it officially been decided which one is to be developed? I see a lot of talk about SEAL 3, but people are still working on SEAL 2. If this thing is ever going to get back on its feet, we need to make a decision on which source code is to be used, and immediately abandon all work on the other. Working on two different sources is a complete waste of time. When one is found to be the best, all the time spent working on the other will be lost. It is really a pretty simple decision. Does SEAL 2 have any hope of reaching its goals? From what I've seen, it is a possibility. Certainly the programmers here who have a more intimate knowledge of the source code would be better equipped to answer that, so we'll see what they think. The SEAL 3 distro that I've seen really doesn't do anything yet, but maybe what's under the hood is of higher quality than SEAL 2. Again, better left to the programmers. Basically, this question needs to be answered before this can really go any further. I hate to see a lot of effort going into something that will be scrapped in a month. Bottom line, do we keep working on SEAL 2 or do we reinvent the wheel and go with SEAL 3. Once we make an official decision, then we can look to the future. Until then, progress can only be limited at best. I hope to hear back with some compelling answers so we can clear this matter up and get down to business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seal three was meant to clean up seal 2's coding mess.. either is worth working on, but seal 3 shows more of a future.. at least to me

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redraw performance in SEAL2 is poor to say the least, when compared to other DOS GUIs, what's more it wont compile on 3.x versions of GCC, so, it needs a serious overhaul to be of use, SEAL3 has no active developers, was coded by one person(not a bad thing, but no one else really knows it) written in C++(similar, but not the same to C, which is generally the skillset around here), is incomplete and needs some level of SEAL2 API compatibility to avoid a total rewrite of all apps.

it depends who has the time for what really, if ganesh comes back and wants to have another bash at SEAL3 then it may be worthwhile, otherwise SEAL2 is probably a better option, but, we will see.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
w_w_n_uk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say stick with seal 2.
because seal3 is incolete most of the actiove develo0pers here know C.
and i woul;d mainly vote for it because it is the only one capable of app dev and i am writing aload of apps for it at present .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poundsmack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we should do seal 3 it has more of a future
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think poundsmack is totally wrong, at least right now.

The only really working version of Seal is Seal 2, the Seal written in C. Seal 3 is only concept right now, it's not developed.

The community will definitly work better if we have a program that can be run, that can be showed to people, I promise. That was my strategy, unfortunatly I didn't have the time I thought I would have, and thus, didn't take us any further...

It would be good to release something, maybe not too soon but quite soon.

Greets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever one you choose it's always going to be Seal2.0 that i'm working on
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems as though SEAL 2 is probably the best choice. I suppose the next question should be, how well could the source be streamlined? I say that we make SEAL 2 the official version, and make a few guidelines about the further development of SEAL 3. First, I think we should make sure that it is in some way backwards-compatible with SEAL 2 apps. It would be a shame to see all of that work go to waste. Second, we should stop calling it SEAL 3. This makes things confusing and could screw up future version numbers if it never sees the light of day. I suggest some type of codename to distinguish it, without giving it a version number. Any suggestions? This way, if anyone wishes to work on it, great! Just so long as they follow these rules so that it can be dropped in as a release but we won't have to change the whole system. It seems that more people are familiar with SEAL 2 and are working in support of it and could possibly improve on it. Perhaps a group could work on "codename" to see if we can make something of it, but until then, I suggest work continue on SEAL 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAL2 it is then, it would make sense, but there's lots of work to be done.

Gallery

oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me. I know there is a lot to do, but it just makes sense to me to devote our time to the one that is currently functional. "SEAL3" is not developed enough to be currently of use, and who knows if it ever will be. Perhaps if someone would like to work on it and could make it backwards-compatible, then we could consider making the switch. Since most of us probably use Windows, here's a scenario. What if every time a new version of Windows came out, you had to get all new programs. Would you upgrade? Hell, no. For this reason, backwards-compatibility is a major issue. This, I feel, should be a primary concern for all future versions.
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think before we start on development, we need to see who can devote their time, and to make sure that everything fits together and people get a long.. because SEAL has failed at that before...

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"backwards-compatibility is a major issue"
yes, it is, but i think API compatibility would be plenty, binary compatibility is most likely unreasonable, and as most SEAL2 apps are GPL'd(or at least open) it shouldn't be a problem.

Gallery

oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I hadn't really looked at it that way.
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Seal3 ... new name Reply with quote

heh....I know it's Micro$oftish, but how about Seal NT Mr Green or SealX

K.I.S.S.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go for something along the lines of SealX

Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: