SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound problems from DOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Sound problems from DOS Reply with quote

I've noticed today a problem when loading SEAL from DOS. My sound works fine when loading from Windows, but not from DOS. I'm not sure exactly how SEAL initializes sound, but I have my DOS-mode sound driver loading from my autoexec.bat file, so I figured it would work. I have an integrated ESS sound chip, and I just can't seem to figure out why it would work from Windows, but not DOS. Anyone else have a similar problem and can offer any assistance? By the way, I'm using FreeDOS 8.1, but I don't see how using MS-DOS would make it any different. Maybe I'll give it a try anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: DOS Sound Reply with quote

What sound card are you using? Is it Allegro compatible?

Does setup.exe see it, and can you get the test sounds to play?

setup.exe should be at http://sealsystem.sourceforge.net/files/

See what happens, and post your results....it might just be Windows providing legacy (Windows Sound System) support to Seal.

For the record, the only sound cards I ever got working for Seal were Ensoniq and Sound Blaster cards.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it out. I have an ESS Audiodrive, which should be allegro-compatible. If I run setup from Windows, it finds my card and the test sounds play fine. If I run it from DOS, however, no dice. I'll keep messing with it and let you know if I make any headway. Let me know if you think of anything else. Might there be a way for the DOS driver to be used?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ktphong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: ESS DOS Sound Driver Reply with quote

I don't know what you have tried. But perhaps the following sites might help.

http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm
http://www.sunmoonstar.com/download/download.htm

And try to get some sound from DOS before go to SEAL. You can use something like CD-Player for DOS for something like that.

My guess (and just a guess, because I am no expert in anything) is that SEAL does not do anything with soundcard as the window might have been doing. It may just send data to a specific device which is indicated under DOS in autoexec.bat

So if there is no sound in DOS, then there will be no sound in SEAL (right?).
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont recall having to set blaster before with seal, but i guess you could try it, assuming your cards SB emulation isn't based entirely on the win32 drivers.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I finally got it straightened out. After spending about 3 hours on google, I discovered that what I have is the notorious Ess Solo-1 1938. I tried about 25 DOS drivers until I found one that would load. After that, I loaded SEAL, and presto, it worked. No setup required or anything. If anyone else should have the same audio chip and would like to save yourself some time, let me know and I can email you the driver. Thanks for the help, everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: