SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Poll] Focusing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: [Poll] Focusing Reply with quote

This poll is intended to determine what we should be focusing on right now. Of course, we all have our strengths and have different things to contribute, but this will kind of help me to know what should be top priority. This whole thing isn't very far off from being useful, but we do need to do a lot of work to pull it all together. So here it goes:

List three in order of importance (if you want to list more, go for it, but I want to see the top three things that come to mind): What would it take to make Seal/DOS your primary OS?

I know this may seem kind of obvious, but I really want to see what everyone has to say. Features, apps, whatever, doesn't matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are my 3:

1.) Networking/Web support
2.) Printer Support
3.) Hardware specific drivers

By the way, I know this isn't a real poll, I just wanted it to look like one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Greatly increased stability. SEAL crashes too much right now.
2. Networking support (LAN and Internet access)
3. Improved multimedia support (eg, support for playing videos, etc)

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much like owens, but with the addition of better drawing speeds.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very good suggestions. I've been poring over the code for the past few days trying to get more familiar with it and find places where improvement is needed. I'll report back with my findings and hopefully some updated source code soon. I'll take the things that have been pointed out into consideration while I'm working and try to work out some solutions. Until then, everyone else, please keep posting here. It is very helpful to know what everyone's main concerns are and may help give others ideas of things to work on.
w_w_n_uk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better drawing speeds will be very hard to accheave due to the way seal handels grfx. i figured this out after talking to owen because i needed high grfx speeds for one of my projects in seal. that is that i needed to update images on the screen at a very high frame rate (avi play back)
on my list are
1. office tools eg better deocument editor that supports font ect.
2. more devices supported.
3. cut out stuff that blots seal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, Leon. One thing that might help a bit is to try to bring Seal up to speed with the latest versions of gcc, djgpp, and Allegro. We should be looking at ways to take advantage of new releases of these projects so that Seal can benefit from the work of those communities. I'm looking at the feasibility of updating the source code to work with the new versions. It's a pretty major undertaking, but I think it would be worthwhile. If anyone thinks it's a dumb idea, please tell me and explain why. I compiled the latest version of Allegro last night, and I've been looking at the new stuff to see if there is anything that could be helpful to us. If anyone has any pointers or would like to help out with this, please let me know.
w_w_n_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at present i am having troble writing to video mem to get the speeds i need as for sum reason the code i have dont work the allegro message board dose not help much ether its a shame as if i can do that seal will be able to play uncompressed avi files.
BTW i have not writen the code to play avi files just ported it from qbasic 4.5 to C i will try and get a dos ver working and then pass an exe ver on to evry one just so thay know what to expect.
features list.
* displays 8, 16 and 24-bit uncompressed AVis in full color.
at present i dont fell like taking on the task of the sound yet i may do this at a l8ter date. my other projects are still in the works.
the Native Seal Compiler is on hold at present due to the fact that the djgpp code is extreamly dificult to navigate.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAL should work fine with the latest version of Allegro, as long as you recompile AllegTTF and regenerate allegro.exp using GENEXP.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. I did all of that, but I still couldn't get it to compile using gcc 2.9.5. Maybe I had something configured wrong, I'll have to give it another shot. I'm using the newest version of djgpp (with the old gcc libraries, of course) so that could have something to do with it.
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAL won't build with gcc 3 or later (I'm not too sure about which versions of 2.x SEAL will and won't build with).

biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try with leon's compiler package in theory it has all the stuff you need

Gallery

Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been for a while.. sorry.. in middle of moving..

My main goal is start recreating some of the apps, cleaning up the layout of them (like the dreaded dc.s2a) and I will be releasing a new version of my installer (HBar) with installation support.. of course..

Also, does anyone know what resolutions that Allegro supports on a nVidia G-Force 4 MX 400 on XP.. I can't get anything bigger then 640x480.. and when I try.. my monitor goes out of range.. so something is up and any help would be appriciated..

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a GeForce 4 MX440, and am on XP right now, and can't get into anything higher than 640x480. That isn't the card's fault though, it's Windows XP. If you try it on plain DOS or Windows 98, it should work.

Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not too worried, i can live with 640x480..

only if my mouse would stop being so damn slow.. it is a pain

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: