SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

??? Won't install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: ??? Won't install Reply with quote

I unzipped the package; it went into a directory called SEALX with subdirectories looking like everything was there. No install.exe as the doc said there should be. I dug around and found it (in /BIN, I think), ran it and it created a SEAL2 directory, but it had nothing in it. So, I went to SEALX/BIN/ and ran SEAL.EXE, which loaded and then crashed after the progress bar got to the end. I copied SEAL.EXE into /SEAL2, where the doc said it should be, and ran it, but it crashed immediately. This is as far as I can get. This is probably a simple problem, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the docs about what to do if installation doesn't go according to plan. Help.
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head I'm not sure what the problem is without knowing a few details about your computer (hardware, OS, etc.). I assume you are using version 2.0.12. Perhaps you might try installing version 2.0.11 and see if that one works. It has been tested a bit more thoroughly and is used more widely. In fact, (I'm not sure without looking), I believe the documentation included with 2.0.12 is from 2.0.11. I hope this can help you a bit. If you like, you could provide a little more info about your system and I could try to give you a better answer and help you to get your problem straightened out. Just a hunch, but are you using Windows XP?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bernie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's a Pentium 200 MMX, O'clocked 233, 32 megs RAM, 1 gig HD, 12x CDROM, MSDOS 6.22. Ontrack to make the disk acceptable to DOS. I have been hacking away mercilessly at this box between then and now. I think I'll have to scrub it before I do anything else. But I'm sure the same thing will happen again; the system was pretty clean back then. I had Windoze 3.11 running on it before and it absolutely flew. 25 seconds from pushing power button to desktop ready. My bells-and-whistles W2k box takes 3 times that long. The 200MMX box now has ROM-DOS 7.1; I wanted to try it because it supports FAT32 and long filenames. Because it came with no external programs or drivers, I stuck in the ones I needed from FreeDOS. (for the CD, etc.) Seems to work ok, but might be a bit of an unknown now. (Strange things happen occasionally) It really does recognize the LFNs and preserves them even when you move files around, so it may be worth the effort to put together and test a combination of DOS bits that works. The same outfit that has the ROM-DOS (Datalight) also has a Sockets package which could form the backbone of relatively simple TCP/IP networking under DOS. Both can be downloaded in demo form. The ROM-DOS is meant for embedding, but can easily boot from floppy or HD as well.

bernie
w_w_n_uk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i remember rightly in the ver you are tryiong to install we did not pack the gui into an install package and just placed all the files in the zip. try extracting preserving the subdirectorys into a folder of c:\seal2\ the gotro c:\seal2\ and type seal2 . if it crashes dose it leave a load of garbage qat the end if please tell us as we can explain to you how to help us locate your problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just zipped the stuff togehter and uploaded it because development had stalled for several months (my fault) and I wanted everyone to benefit from the stuff I had changed... that's why 2.0.12 is called inofficial...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: