SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: DOS Reply with quote

I have just installed seal on a computer that is running MSDOS 6.22 and that's all. I really have to hand it to you guys, the GUI is pretty nice. I think it could be useful too. I also have xtgold installed and it seems to be more useful but not as easy to move around in and it's interface is drab. What I'm getting around to is the uses that DOS is currently being used for by the few people that are still using it, atleast directly. At first I was going to use it under WIN 3.1 as a HTML server. Win 3.1 may be the place to look for alot of your programming answers because in reality it is only a GUI for MSDOS. It is still just as singular or linear as you might call it, since only one program can be run at a time, the only difference is that it doesn't have the RAM limitations as DOS does or in better words it doesn't care about conventional, upper. or extended memory all it sees is the amount of memory it can use. Which brings me back to the subject of people that use DOS. DOS is singular and therefore most people that use it today, use it to perform only a few tasks. It works good for small servers that doesn't have to be all that secure. I also works good for databases, word processors, and other things of a singular nature. I think that's the things you should be concentrating on, as this is your audience, atleast for now. I think in order to do everything that will make it a great interface for the general audience, your going to end up making a whole new OS. Another thing that I should point out is that DOS is used by alot of newby programmers; in fact just to be able to work around in DOS is like learning a programming language. Eventually a person has to learn how to make batch files and QBasic programs.Therefore, I think the visual development tools is a step in the right direction for the upcoming versions. Multimedia and things like that I think is best left to windows. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are people out there that would use a DOS computer as a database for their pictures or music files or maybe as an amplification system for their stereos or T.V's. What I'm trying to say is that it should be kept in mind that DOS for most users is installed on ancient low-end machines that are used for singular purposes. I think SEAL could have a big future in that type of market. Instead of trying to build a general purpose desktop I think you should build a desktop that is great at file manipulation and then allow the user to add modules as to their singular type use, including the visual development tools. This would be more in alignment with the very nature of DOS, thus the acronym for "Disk Operating System" or in other words file management system. As I've said before if the SEAL team keeps going in the general desktop direction your going to end up with another bloated piece of software like Windows and eventually you will have to make a new OS to support it. Take the games for example, although they are nice and I'm sure alot of work has gone into them, right now their wasting disk space. The only thing I might use them for is to learn the code but I doubt if I'll ever play them. Even for DOS there are better games and the true gamer is going to go with windows because of it's 32bit support and the sheer volume of games available. Again don't get me wrong there are some excellent 16 bit games like FFVII to name one and from what I understand the programmers were just starting to learn the capabilities of 16 bit programming when the 32 bit consoles started coming out, so I'm sure DOS could be used as a stepping stone to learn really excellent game programming. I'm going to start playing around with this desktop but I have say C isn't my choice of languages so I'll have to learn it any help would be appreciated. Oh and thanks for the great GUI it is the best I've seen on a DOS computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: