SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Force -> SEAL = SEAL 3 (propose)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alf.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about just using a pThreads lib for dos to implement the multitasking? I have seen 3 on the djgpp site
poundsmack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is the new seal gona compare to Pmad's new GUI Ozone? will it be better? faster? look nicer? is ozone based on allegro?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crashfourit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alf. wrote:
What about just using a pThreads lib for dos to implement the multitasking? I have seen 3 on the djgpp site

The reasion i would a OS kernel or make a dos Extener capable of multitasking i because it would be nice to run multiple dos programs in Seal.
ucosty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been ushered to this post. I undestand that you wish to use your old project 'The Force' as a basis for the new version of Seal. I am willing to help develop this (I have lots of free time).

So... what should we do now?
julien

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alf. wrote:

Advice : pthreads seams to be good, other djgpp libs are all unstable and do not work fine with dlx, xdl, sdl...
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest and clear:

if we want to do the job in the *right* way, we have to implement our own memory manager AND threading code. However this means that a) we can't make SEAL a portable graphical user interface (f.e. porting it to linux) and b) DOS will actually work as a 'launcher'. The exterder will not be necessary anymore. This, again, is bad from the point of view that SEAL will not run under windows, neither under EMM386, but only under pure DOS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poundsmack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good linux has enough window managers and windows....well......they can do ther own thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone,
Greetings and salutations. This is my first post here, and I must admit I feel like a fish out of water here. I am a Linux user so by default I go to Linux sites usually. But, I am not a closed minded type person, and thus is the reason I have stumbled upon SEAL.
BadSector: I have read the post here and must say I like the direction you propose. As I have stated earlier I am a Linux user, and Linux does have plenty of GUI front ends ranging from KDE to XPDE. I feel that SEAL should be strictly a FreeDOS front end, but with the emphasis to work seamlessly with Linux (Primary) and M$ Windows (Secondary). The reason behind this is that I noticed a few posts in here requested multitasking and true multiuser capability and Linux has that, but Linux lacks the capability to run DOS type products without some type of emulator. Perhaps the idea could be for the SEAL team to work with a Linux team to produce a bridge that would allow these two opensource projects to create an alliance to fill in the requests from both sides.
This is just some ideas.

Raptor
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just in case this is of any use

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~tjaden/index.html

mainly allegro stuff, he's the guy who wrote The Paw(or PAWS as a certain callum would call it)

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crashfourit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we could use a hacked verion of allegro for the gfx, a new (or not o new) OS kernel with subsystem capablities. Also it would be nice if Seal had SMP capibility.

I'm resherching some materials so i can write an OS kernel.
Grym

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_xduffy_ wrote:
I prefer to trust Kostas who have a long history in the community, and who actually have some code to show and commit, over some unknown guy who have wild ideas and thinks he can conquer the world with some imaginary project that doesn't even have any code.

Nuff said?

You might have a point, but then again what you does not know won`t hurt you Mr Green

With Kostas working on SEAL I think it has a future, however I still belive in what I have stated before, that any "team" of developers on such a project MUST have some kind of a leader, of the dictator-kind, that has the balls and respect needed to cut trough and say: "hey enough chatting, we do this MY way, you don`t like it? well byebye!"

Any other scenario should be obvious to anyone that have been reading a thread or two on this forums, the flamewars will return, and a nice project will "die" again.

But if Kostas can be that kind of project manager, I`ll be happy to contribute, if he`ll let me.

sorry for my poor english.

Grym.
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everybody. Haven't been in here for a little bit because the SF servers have been running a bit slow. This is very encouraging to see some actual development going on. BadSector, if you would like to take over this project, you are certainly more qualified than I and you have my blessing. I would like to say, however, that I am highly offended by Phil's comments regarding my presence on this project. Phil, if you are reading this, I feel you are taking a very unfair stance on my work here. To begin with, I took this position because no one else, including you, was willing to do it. I thought that perhaps I could be of some service to a program that I felt had a lot of potential. However, in my time here, nothing productive has really happened, and I don't feel that all of that falls on me. I made an effort to encourage new work, and even spent a great deal of my time trying to recruit more programmers to help with the coding. I have been nothing less than friendly and fair in my time here, and I don't think I deserve to be disrespected like that. Everyone else here has made me feel quite welcome and appreciated, and I thank you all for that.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, if you would like to take over, BadSector, you have my full support. I just want to see this project grow and develop. That's all I've wanted since day one on the job, and if you can make that happen, then you deserve the position far more than I. I will still be on hand to help in any capacity that I can be of service, and I am very excited about the prospect of some new development taking place.

Shayne Parrish
oyama26
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok .

I agree with Grym on the position of "project leader". In Greece we have a very old saying that -obviously - says: "where you hear many cocks, sun raises late" (very bad and very free translation). It actually means that when you work on something, a hierarchical work model must be made if you want things to be done fast. However this comes in contrast with the opensource spirit ("the bazaar and the cathedral", anyone?). I'll be somewhere in the middle. My method will be simple: i'll 'take over' the kernel code, meaning the base SEAL system itself (including the toolkit library, since i really don't want SEAL to become another X Window system with all those environments, toolkits, etc) and i'll leave everything else (utilities such as the desktop, applications like text editors, etc) to others. If someone is willing to contribute in the kernel, he just have to send me a patch (read the 'diff' manual first please, type 'info diff' or 'info patch' in command-line), and after testing etc i'll migrate it in the source code base .

Btw, talking for patches, i want -where possible- to use the source code look that currently The Force uses.
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to form into something interesting, wonderful, really wonderful

And no, my point about some unknown guy wasn't directed at oyama, since he haven't even claimed to be a coder...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fenix*NBK*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadSector: I am with you. It's great to have a good leader.

I just wanted compatibility because it's easier (for me) to program under Windows. But, if you say, that it will work only under DOS, I accept.
I prefer Seal under DOS, than no Seal at all.
(Besides, I liked Seal 2)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: