SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i didn't got lost :-)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: i didn't got lost :-) Reply with quote

i'm still here. Sorry for not talking much.

As i probably said, i've got a new computer, Athlon64, GFFX5950Ultra, Serial ATA HDD and other cool and pricy stuff. However i still have problems setting up my SEAL working environment. Namely:

1. DOS refuses to see my SATA disk. A workaround is to put an old disk. But i won't since this will decrease the performace of my system (SATA slows down when an IDE disk is attached).

2. SEAL doesn't work with Windows XP. It just doesn't run. I'll see....

3. I don't have time!!!

Except these, important but we-ll-find-a-workaround-anyway, anything goes... err... ok. The glue library is finished(?) and the kernel compiles nicely (but doesn't run :-p). My new computer lets me compile everything in seconds . That's nice.

Btw, the name of the new SEAL will be XSeal, so forget SEAL3, 4, etc. The versioning will be XSeal 0.x.yy, until we reach version 1.0 which will be the first official stable version. Like other opensource projects does (Mozilla, FreePascal, etc)

It may take a while for my next post. For urgent messages, send an e-mail to b4sector.remove.the.spam.s*** >at< net.remove.scape.nospam [dot] net.remove
(demangle the abone in order to figure out my actual e-mail and please don't post it - WWW spam robots SUX)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ntsw01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is seal in hybernation until more of your developers have time to work on it? I haven't heard much in the forums lately and the activity level always seems to be at its highest around summer.
ucosty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?? oh. eheh global communication still leaves me slightly disorientated. summ er = winter and other stuff. Mr Green

Anyway what do you plan to do?

-ucosty
ncwebmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Chat Room Meeting Reply with quote

I feel we should have a chat room meeting on IRC or something. Talk about different ideas and how to DO them.
Fenix*NBK*

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have you decided to rename SEAL to XSeal? - I prefer just "Seal".

- That was *EXACTLY* the reason why I thought about making Seal run under Linux and Win32, at least in compatibility mode...

about 1. - I didn't knew that any problems could arise because of SATA...
It's strange - they (ATA and SATA) are logically compatible.

a) What DOS you use?
b) How do you partition your new hi-end PC?
c) Which File systems you plan to use?
biggyp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're trying to coach badsector in DOS related issues?!

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Coaching BadSector Reply with quote

LOL.... logically Compatiblr....that means nothing these days.

Sure the 386+ and New (3dNow!/MMX/SSE/SSE2/ABCXYZ) chips are logically compatible with the 8086, but that doesn't mean (insert modern fps game here) will just run slower on my IBM 5150....it won't fraggin' run!

So BS, how's the new 64 working out for ya.... I'm sitting on a winky Duron 700... perhaps I'll upgrade in the future, but as long as I keep my system optimized nothing slows down...

Speed has never been an issue for me....multitasking is a matter of spinning my chair to different positions....until I get a KVM switch...it's nice to have alot of computers, and it burns fat pretty good too.

If anyone needs any helpful DOS advice, those who know me well enough can contact me.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problems continues...

Not only my DOS (MSDOS from Windows Me, modified) cannot see my HDD, but my Linux also refuses to do the same. The problem is fixed -they say- in kernel 2.6, but i don't have a 2.6-based distribution. I actually don't think that there is a 2.6 distro yet . So i have to compile EVERYTHING from the very beginning.

I'll try with FreeDOS, but to say the truth, i don't think that it will work (because of that "let's make FD as MSDOS compatible as we can" path that FD has...).

A solution? I can't think anything. Any my internet is off for now (i'm posting from a friend's computer).

I named it XSeal because i want to emphasize the difference between old code and new code. If you don't like it, well, we live in a free world (yeah right).... when the first version is released, you are welcome to make a distribution with another name as long as you follow the GPL correctly (but, to be honest, i don't see any sanity in making a distro just for having a different name).

Ah, and by the way. From my last post to this post, there isn't any source code change. With that i mean that i didn't had time to work on it. I want to make many things, but i just can't find the time...
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: i didn't got lost :-) Reply with quote

BadSector wrote:

Never did for me, however I am using NTFS, so it does not, when I had a FAT partition it did..

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTFS vs. FAT shouldn't make any difference, you're running SEAL in NTVDM

Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: