SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full Skinning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by: Sean

Will full skinning be supported in the next release of seal2? If so, is anyone working on a tool to create skins?

--------------
email: sean_p2@hotmail.com
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the first question, dunno....I'm sure someone else will.

As for the second question....are you volunteering?

--------------
Amos -
seal.dosos.com
AIM: AmosVryhof
MSN Messenger: a.m.o.s@juno.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I'm not very good at programming, but if someone would help me do it, maybe I could learn more about Seal2 programming. It would be great if someone could help me. I thought maybe I could create a .msstyle kinda thing like in WindowsXP. For those who don't know, a .msstyle file contains all of the bitmaps and visual information that decides how windows XP looks. This would clean up the /system/skin/ folder, especially for those who have lots of skins. Just a suggestion.

--------------

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna give it a try. I put in a request to add the project to SPH. The project will be called SkinBuilder.

--------------
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could use some GTK+ and Sawmill themes as templates

--------------
Email
HomePage
SealStuff
Gallery

MSN: philharper@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the next version of SEAL will support pretty much full skinning. I will talk to Darragh (or try and figure the code out myself) about this soon.

And the question on everybody's lips: "When will the next release be?". Well, I'm going to get the new site done and up, then will work on SEAL itself some more. It's the Easter holidays on Friday for a couple of weeks, which will give me more time to work on SEAL and the site, so you can expect a release next month sometime, hopefully.

--------------
Owen Rudge
http://www.owenrudge.co.uk/

MSN Messenger: orudge@freeuk.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by: Topguitarist

Im planning on doing a bit of skinning for SEAL - i'll try and include a lot of the bitmaps into the skin files so that when you change skin you can change the whole look & feel of SEAL.

--------------
Darragh McNally

MSN Messenger - darragh_mc_nally@hotmail.com

"Is tá Ruairí Mac Orlaidh 'dul chun bás ar dhroichead Thuama inniú"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by: Bad-Sector

i've already sent Absolute SEAL's skinning code (skin.c and skin.h) to many guys from here some months ago, including Amos, Julien, Callum, etc. This skinning code works pretty well and has many advantages (which can be improved alot but this is another topic) and it can load skin information from .ini files (okay, i'm not sure if this feature is inside the skin.c file, but Absolute SEAL has it and theoritically is inside skin.c ).

Having a different fileformat for SEAL2's skinning and Absolute SEAL skinning is a bad idea.... and i think that we have to work on my code, since it's ready and finished (almost.... there is something text drawing-related which was left unfixed, but is an one quarter's work).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compiled a version of the Seal2 kernel with full skinning enabled. For this I have Darragh to thank. I read one of his posts about skinning code being in app.c and found it. Here is a screenshot and a download.

Updated Kernel
Just extract the kernel.exe into your seal2 directory, and Aqua.skn under the skin directory for a preview.

The code still has some problems. For example, text and images don't have transparent backgrounds. Have you fixed this for Sprint, Darragh? Let me know if someone finds a solution.

--------------
[ Edit by Sean on 2002-03-26 20:55 ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the the image and the download. Where can I post this stuff for people to use? For now I will just have to e-mail it to whoever wants it.

--------------
tobbe_sn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To download the file from Angelfire:

Right-click the link and select "Copy shortcut" (or whatever it's called)
Paste the shortcut into the address field of your browser, put a single space after the address and press enter.

Do the same to view the image. You may have to select to view the "Properties" of the image and copy the address from there.

/Tobias

--------------
------

Tobias Johansson
tobbe_snodd@hotmail.com

"Killers are quiet..."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to recompile it, it is already compiled into it. i'll post some examples later. So you do not have to download this new kernel.

--------------
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download Qube Skin

Download SPRINT Skin

Download WIN Skin

Unzip these files into your skin folder.
Please Note: You do NOT have to download the updated kernel & backgrounds are not included.

[ Edit by Topguitarist on 2002-03-27 04:56 ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, What version of app.c did you use ? because the one that is in lambda doesnt compile anyway - Lambda just uses the already compiled app.o. If you used a different one could you please send it to me? but if you used the lambda app.c im afraid you have made no changes to the kernel at all because it already supported skinning.

--------------
Darragh McNally

biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at some point i'll put together some skin sets, nice to see someone using the Qube button skin
one thing that would be nice could be to have repeatible skins as well as scaled ones and maybe seperate end pieces for windows.

--------------
Email
HomePage
SealStuff
Gallery

MSN: philharper@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: