SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seal n00b :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shredder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just discovered FreeDOS and it came with Seal. I'm going to install it all on an old P90 in a couple of days, but since then I've been messing around with in in windows. It seems pretty cool, or at least it could be, if it had more programs.

My first question is: What programs are there? Can I go online, look at web pages, chat? Listen to MP3's (with good quality and a good player similar to winamp) and do other windows-type stuff? How?

Second, if these things don't exist, I might want to make them, but I'm curious where Seal is going. I've been reading around and I've heard stuff like the maker of Seal left it and make QubeOS becasue everyone doing Seal fights a lot and stuff like that. I don't know what's true or not. There are obviously things that would be nice to add to Seal, like shortcuts, a recycle bin, a better task bar, and other stuff. I think it would be fun to make Seal as good as windows, but who's going to use it?

You've all heard the "Why don't you work on something more WORTHWHILE" right? Why should I work on Seal or even use it, instead of making programms for, say, Linux?

Well anyway Seal seams interesting and I look forward to learning more about it.

Thanks! ^_^

Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition.
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you're considering developing for Seal then great, what kind of programming experience have you got? there's a perfectly good MP3 and media player in Seal, although SealAMP isn't availible yet, if you've been playing with Seal in windows you surely know what it's capable of.

p.s is that a refferenceto the turtles?

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My first question is: What programs are there? Can I go online

Not yet, but hopefully you will be able to at some point fairly soon.

Quote:

look at web pages

Well, the old HPAGE web browser has been ported from SEAL 1.x (but I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet), but it is VERY buggy and not really a good web browser.

Quote:

chat?

Not yet, but that will come with Internet access.

Quote:

Listen to MP3's (with good quality and a good player similar to winamp)

You can listen to MP3s (and MIDI files, MOD, XM, S3M, IT and JGMOD module formats, and WAV files). A WinAmp-style player, SealAmp, is being developed by me, but I haven't got a huge amount done with it recently due to lack of time.

Quote:

I don't know what's true or not.

A month or so ago there were a few disputes and fights, but since then there has been new leadership (me ), and things are currently quite nice right now.

Shortcuts do exist in a way (.ln files), but have not been integrated into the file system like in Windows yet. madfab created a Shortcut Manager ages ago which was never released, but I found the source code when getting all the files from the TuxFamily server when moving over to SourceForge.

A recycle bin has been created by Darragh McNally, but hasn't been released yet.

A better task bar and Desktop exists in the form of Bad Desktop (depending on your point of view, really).

Quote:

I think it would be fun to make Seal as good as windows, but who's going to use it?

SEAL is mainly intended for people with lower-end computers such as old 486's and so on.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy using SEAL. If you have any more questions or problems, just post a message here!

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shredder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what kind of programming experience have you got?

I've been doing a lot of web coding lately (PHP + MySQL). I'll be ORACLE certified in a couple of weeks (like that matters here ). I know C but I don't have a whole lotta experience in it. I know enough to contribute a bit, I'm sure.

Quote:
there's a perfectly good MP3 and media player in Seal

I wouldn't call it perfectly good. When I used it, it skipped every once in a while and sometimes had scratchy sound. Might just be me though. It lacks a lot of features.. like buttons. No navigation. No playlists. But SealAMP is in development so I'm not worried about that.

Quote:
A month or so ago there were a few disputes and fights, but since then there has been new leadership (me ), and things are currently quite nice right now.

Good

Quote:
Shortcuts do exist in a way (.ln files), but have not been integrated into the file system like in Windows yet

Hopefully that will be done soon...?

Quote:
A better task bar and Desktop exists in the form of Bad Desktop (depending on your point of view, really).

What is Bad Desktop? I tried installing it and it screwed u Seal to the point of not loading right. I had to CTRL-ALT-END it away because the desktop didn't load. What's Bad Seal, Absolute Seal, etc.? Are those worth looking at?

There are a lot of other features that Seal needs. Such as: Better right click (Right-click -> New -> File types ie text file etc) File types so I can make Seal launch my favorite DOS program when I click on a file, the ability to double-click on the icon in the left-top corner to close it, the fact that when a window is maximized, the lil' right-click menu in the aformentioned icon still says "Maximize" even though clicking that Restores it. Stuff like that. I'll probably make a longer list when I feel like getting a peice of paper and a pen, but for right now, I'm just comfortable sitting right here

I like Seal. I don't know why, but for some reason I have fun just opening it and doing pointless stuff in it. heh

I'm going to mess around and compile some simple progroms for it when I have time..

btw Please release for download those things like the recycle bin and browser so i can see them (please include the source for the browser too, i wanna see it) or email it all to me at kintaro_oe4@yahoo.com

Thanks

P.S. My name is from the Ninja Turtles, as I believe somebody asked. Ninja Turtles rock, you know they do lol

Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition.

[ This Message was edited by: Shredder on 2002-04-30 20:15 ]
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's probably worth downloading Seal 2.00.11 since you have 2.00.10 (Lambda) at present, there are some bug fixes and bits and pieces added, like buttons for the MP3 player

with regards to Sounds quality, have you checked that Allegro knows the correct IRQ and DMA settings, as detecting these incorrectly can sometimes cause problems similar to your description.

nonononono, we Brits refer to them as Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as Ninja was deemed just tooo scarry for us

so, are you a radical rat?

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that Splinter was the radical rat and Shredder the bad guy

orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I wouldn't call it perfectly good. When I used it, it skipped every once in a while and sometimes had scratchy sound.

What are the specifications of your PC?

Quote:

Hopefully that will be done soon...?

Maybe... we'll see.

Quote:

What is Bad Desktop? I tried installing it and it screwed u Seal to the point of not loading right.

That's because you're using Lambda, and Bad Desktop 0.55 is compiled for 2.00.11.

Quote:

What's Bad Seal, Absolute Seal, etc.? Are those worth looking at?

I haven't got AbSEAL to compile properly yet and work - Bad Sector pretty much just zipped up his working directory and released the code. Bad Seal was (and still is) the best version of SEAL 1.x, but isn't compatible with SEAL 2.0 programs.

Quote:

There are a lot of other features that Seal needs. Such as: Better right click (Right-click -> New -> File types ie text file etc)

Possible, and will happen at some point.

Quote:

File types so I can make Seal launch my favorite DOS program when I click on a file

Already possible, but only by editing the registry - see SYSTEM/FILETYPES.

Quote:

I like Seal. I don't know why, but for some reason I have fun just opening it and doing pointless stuff in it. heh

Don't worry, I do similar things occasionally...

Quote:

btw Please release for download those things like the recycle bin and browser so i can see them (please include the source for the browser too, i wanna see it) or email it all to me at kintaro_oe4@yahoo.com

I will upload the HPAGE code at some point soon. You'll have to ask Darragh about the Recycle Bin - I'd like to see it too.

MSN Messenger: orudge@freeuk.com

[ This Message was edited by: orudge on 2002-05-01 08:36 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shredder

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Shredder was the bad guy
Cool bad guy though

as for my comp specs, its a 700 athlon w/ 128 mb ram and an sblive sound card. should have no problem w/ mp3s
Any way i d/led the new ver. of seal and it plays mp3s decently now. Only thing is it only plays them half the time, the other half it just doesn't do anything :-/ and when it does play, it's not as loud as / doesn't have as much base as in windows. oh well

Now that i have the latest ver. of Seal I'm going to install bad desktop to see how it is sometime later...

btw, i d/l'ed the source to seal but i can't get it to compile. I go to the dir and type make and it says

gcc -s -Iinclude -c src/dlxload.cc -o obj/dlxload.o
gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory
(ENOENT)
make.exe: *** [obj/dlxload.o] Error 1

I'm kinda new to gcc and make, so i don't know how to use make quite right... I have the right versions of djgpp and gcc (as stated in build.txt). I tested it w/ other things and found out it will compile normal .c files fine, but nothing with make will compile. Any idea's why..?

well i gotta go it's late... there was some other things i wanted to say/ask.. but i can't remember and i don't have time right now anyway, so, later

biggyp

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-01 06:45, BadSector wrote:
i think that Splinter was the radical rat and Shredder the bad guy

yes, oops
shredhead

Gallery

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the djgpp files for C++ too... The zip should be named something like gpp2952b.zip, and it must be installed too...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab it from Simtel gpp2952b.zip

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a correction to owen: i didn't zipped my SEAL working directory. I just zipped the most needed things plus some other unfinished stuff that i think that someone could finish them. My SEAL working directory has many more things (including all graphics that i made for SEAL, many useless and usefull source code for things that i never used (), tools that i made to make my life easier, etc), but it came about 25MB when i RARed it, and i can't upload 25MB anywhere...

orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and I wouldn't really want to download 25mb of it!

One of the good things about being SEAL maintainer is that you don't have to download the new release. Unfortunately, I have to upload it instead...

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is a lot slower if you sit on a modem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't sit on a modem, but I have to use one. It took absolutely ages to upload 2.00.11 because my Internet connection was behaving VERY badly (actually, it turned out it was a faulty NTL adaptor that connected to the phone line), and I was uploading at under 10kbps a lot of the time!

MSN Messenger: orudge@freeuk.com

[ This Message was edited by: orudge on 2002-05-03 09:44 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: