SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if USB is supported?
But would it be intergrated in future releases?
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

support for USB what? there isn't a driver system as such for Seal and i don't know of anything in the way of USB peripherals that would be of use in SEAL.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadSector
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New generation of motherboards (there are actually some of them already in the shops) doesn't have anything else than USB2 ports. Neither floppy controller. Anything is connected using USB2. USB2 can be used for: Mouse, Floppy, Harddisk, Printers, CDROM, Screen (probably...) and any PC peripheral you could think. I think USB is a *must-be-implemented* for SEAL, since it is the future of computers and i don't think that SEAL wants to stick to the past...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally can't see USB2 doing any better than Firewire or USB, but hey, maybe i'll be proved wrong, hope not though, the idea of USB2 for everything fills me with dread.

Gallery

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care and don't think it will be any big issue, since that is a quest for the OS, not SEAL, and the OS is dos or freedos... Our part of the implementation wont be that great, hopefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never spoke of USB 2 only USB 1 is enough That will be hard enough to implement, i guess
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive there already are implementations of USB for dos, aren't there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JGX22

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remenber correctly....Wasn't there supposed to be a SealOS along with the GUI before it was released? That was one of the things that first got me intersted in Seal Maybe, after I'm done learning ASM and I'm good enough I try turning it into an OS.... But, then I'll have to learn a load of other crap for that

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there have never been any serious talks about any specific SEALOS. We have no use for it either.... Look at Freedos32... they do something we can use later on
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two implimentations of USB for DOS. One is simply a Mouse Driver, which I have on my Hard drive here for DOS Mode. The other is a pay for custom version called usb4dos.

Then again I thing I might be wrong....I have heard of a USB for Pascal implimentation as well.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, there should be stuff to pick
JGX22

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning Seal into an OS wouldn't be a bad idea though...would it?

EDIT_: Then I could completly ditch microsoft

c: copy con hello.com
-!+ Hi, World!$
^z

Alt-180 Alt-09 Alt-186 Alt-09 Alt-186 Alt-205 ! Alt-195 Alt-32 Hi, World!$ (do without spaces)

[ This Message was edited by: JGX22 on 2002-05-14 14:05 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can! FreeDOS + Seal!
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thats the whole idea, ditch microsoft if you feel you can cope with just FreeDOS and SEAL, of course if you can't cope with that there's always linux, if it weren't for my dad and sister needing to use this machine i'd quite happily drop Windows in favour of Linux.

Gallery

JGX22

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, once Callum's done with inet I will switch to freedos-seal on a different computer. I only use my computer for mp3's and internet, my wife uses it for games that seal already has So nothing would really be changing too much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> To Do All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: