SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radical new proposal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudysBoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: I like Seal, but .... Reply with quote

I like the "Xwindow" look of seal, but has anyone thought of a web browser. That would be a strong selling point for 3.0.

I had bad luck with sealdos. How about a dos terminal? Give it the xterm look!
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A web browser is something that, if SEAL 3.0 ever gets off the ground, will be on the cards.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: I like Seal, but .... Reply with quote

JudysBoy wrote:
I like the "Xwindow" look of seal, but has anyone thought of a web browser. That would be a strong selling point for 3.0.

I had bad luck with sealdos. How about a dos terminal? Give it the xterm look!

what Xwindow look?
yes, many people have thought of that, there's a basic HTML viewer somewhere.
how about someone writing a DOS terminal, why not give it the DOS look

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Seal 3.0 Reply with quote

One thing that should be addressed and is generally overlooked is that Seal should be a GUI that runs DOS applications (As well as Seal Apps). If you want to create another clone of windows or linux I think you're missing the point. Microsoft has killed DOS with XP. I use DOS to run DOS Programs. If I want a GUI the runs its own apps well...hello Windows and Linux!!!
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAL does currently run DOS applications, but there are problems with some programs (eg, ones that use custom memory management software). Also, you can't multitask between applications and so on. As has been mentioned by me umpteen times (just do a search), we'd need a DOS virtual machine to do 'good' multitasking between apps, and to run apps in a window, etc.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate the fact that multitasking is an issue with some memory management programs. I experience that very problem with the version of autocad I run. I Do have a newer (2002) incarnation of autocad, but it quite frankly is for the most part a step backwards. I can live with no multitasking while that DOS program runs. DOS is the OS I really want to use. If I could run the apps I need to run without memory problems, have a web browser & email and a picture editor I'd be very happy.
..:pop_star:..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icons...

its a limit.

ONLY Icons...

Mmm..how about use some pictures for desktop ICONS?
Jpegs, pngs, gif animations, mngs, ---> not only common icons...

ALL your digital art into your desktop.
Transform your desktop into a piece of art...-!

is like that ---> http://www.evolution-interface.com/images/desktops/wpe2.gif

[greetings from the deeper south---chile!]

(yes. im not a native english espeaker)
biggyp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please don't crosspost

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evil_demon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Installer/DiskMaker Reply with quote

I know its a bit early in the day to be thinking of this but....

My SEAL 2.0.11 installer never really took off, so i've totally redesigned the whole thing, and now all i need is a SEAL 3 logo, and some SEAL3 files and i'll show you all what it can do. I have put a version of it up that looks pretty, but dosnt actually install anything. I cant find any bugs at the minute, but i'd liek some suggestions and (constructive) criticism.

I'll stick the URL here, as soon as my slow 56K finished uploading (which could be christmas ).
miko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: my wish list Reply with quote

i'm new but keen be gentle : )

my wishlist for the Perfect Portable DOS GUI
1) should be able to place icons for and run all dos programs from the desktop or explorer ala DOS Start! oh and file associations
2)16 bit color ,with icons and bmps done kinda as they are
3)Drag and drop ,its in some other shells and its the way i grew up working with files
4)transparent zip support - zips as Compresed folders ala Me-Xp
5)I,m new but this, it is v,cool .i ain't that good at coding but i do compile my own quake execs, and from what i've read seal seams to be alittle bells and wistle obsessed ,i mean 11 games and some of the menus don't line up right ,maybe you should streamline it, just a couple of games, a real all around launcher for full screen DOS apps and games, with 16 bit colour and file viewers-players ,dump all the baggage ,howbout freeVBE for graphics ? maybe allegro isnt needed ,its just i run dos games on an old pc and to be honest what i really would like is a 16 bit color version of DOS Start! with a decent font ,but........
6)if seal ever gets a net connection and a browser alot of people will dust of their 486s ,allegro ? - should focus on Arachne

any way of to make an icon set and skin for my new toy ; ) miko
andersen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to burst any seal-person's bubble but a lot of the stuff people want to do with seal has been done already. here . Dos browsing, nice gui, printing (I think).
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, new deal office, yes, a very capable system (to say the least) but saying someones already done it looking at that you could say the same about win3.1 or GEM in some ways, thing is, is NDO opensource free software?

Gallery

andersen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been silently watching this site & forum for a few months and I've noticed that a lot of people posting just want a program for dos web browsing. Most of these people don't care about open vs. closed source and stuff like that. They just want a simple solution.
andersen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been silently watching this site & forum for a few months and I've noticed that a lot of people posting just want a program for dos web browsing. Most of these people don't care about open vs. closed source and stuff like that. They just want a simple solution.
biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they care about it being free though!

Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: