SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radical new proposal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbouza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why start an all new seal version, you could just continue from where you are now. there are plenty of bugs to be fixed.
biggyp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it was decided that there is so much wrong with SEAL2 that starting again from scratch would be a good idea, however, that person seems to have disapeared, lukas said he has made a start on fixing SEAL2

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mbouza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear that lukas is working on it
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Ideas Reply with quote

To me it is obvious that those who have the talent and ability to write Seal2 would rather start new and make Seal3. So let's consentrate on Seal3.

I would like to see the ability to (when adding an item to the programs list or the desktop) be able to prompt for user parameters, point to a target folder, select a particular file to open, and even more than one command function. Quikmenu III has this ability, so I can for instance (Using PKZip & PKUnzip 2.50 - Sharware) ask for a file to zip or unzip and a target folder in the GUI. The function still runs in plain DOS but it removes the need to type lots of long winded parameters. All it does is have a BAT file that is coded with GUI functions. Lets face it is a function Windows PIF files lack (They are only BAT files called PIF files but are exactly the same). With all the hype and GUI that windows has, it still uses a file execution format from early DOS. They only want (As XP has done) to force people to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..! But the best programs I have would not run on an XP system. In fact the company I work for downgraded all there OS from XP to Win98Se because of problems running applications.

Seal3 should have (or Could have) the ability to run Seal2 apps. That compromise should satisfy Seal2 devotees while pleasing Seal3 advocates.

If you want a look at Quikmenu III to see what I mean you can download a fully functional demo from http:\\www.neosoftware.com
The Readme Help file lists several useful ideas that Seal3 could incorporate.

orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I would like to see the ability to (when adding an item to the programs list or the desktop) be able to prompt for user parameters, point to a target folder, select a particular file to open, and even more than one command function. Quikmenu III has this ability, so I can for instance (Using PKZip & PKUnzip 2.50 - Sharware) ask for a file to zip or unzip and a target folder in the GUI. The function still runs in plain DOS but it removes the need to type lots of long winded parameters. All it does is have a BAT file that is coded with GUI functions.

Well, you can have Windows open a small window asking for parameters - run QBASIC from Start\Run on Win9x for an example. Is this what you mean?

Quote:
Lets face it is a function Windows PIF files lack (They are only BAT files called PIF files but are exactly the same).

Nonononono, PIF files aren't batch files. They are a custom file format which stores all sorts of memory and program information.

Quote:

Seal3 should have (or Could have) the ability to run Seal2 apps. That compromise should satisfy Seal2 devotees while pleasing Seal3 advocates.

Well, it would be possible with an emulation layer, as has been discussed before.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lukas139

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I dont think C++ is a good language for a gui, i would use C.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mbouza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never did like c++ anyway, c is better
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas Reply with quote

orudge wrote:
Paul wrote:
I would like to see the ability to (when adding an item to the programs list or the desktop) be able to prompt for user parameters, point to a target folder, select a particular file to open, and even more than one command function. Quikmenu III has this ability, so I can for instance (Using PKZip & PKUnzip 2.50 - Sharware) ask for a file to zip or unzip and a target folder in the GUI. The function still runs in plain DOS but it removes the need to type lots of long winded parameters. All it does is have a BAT file that is coded with GUI functions.

Well, you can have Windows open a small window asking for parameters - run QBASIC from Start\Run on Win9x for an example. Is this what you mean?

no, i think he means similar to the way A/UX handles users running shell commands from finder, popping up a dialogue asking for paramaters, i'm sure i've seen this somewhere else, maybe MS-DOSShell.

Quote:
Lets face it is a function Windows PIF files lack (They are only BAT files called PIF files but are exactly the same).

Nonononono, PIF files aren't batch files. They are a custom file format which stores all sorts of memory and program information.

Quote:

Quote:
Well, it would be possible with an emulation layer, as has been discussed before.

or a similar API to seal2 could be implemented within SEAL3 to allow porting of old apps.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbouza wrote:
i never did like c++ anyway, c is better

c is better for some things, like portability and producing higly optimized code, C++ also has it's strong points.

Gallery

lukas139

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By what I said i didnt mean i dont like C++, i like using it for my projects, but not for a gui
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas Reply with quote

biggyp wrote:
orudge wrote:
Paul wrote:

no, i think he means similar to the way A/UX handles users running shell commands from finder, popping up a dialogue asking for paramaters, i'm sure i've seen this somewhere else, maybe MS-DOSShell.

Yeah, but in quikmenu III you can add these parameters to any desktop item. The command description I have for using PKzip goes as follows:

PKZIP [Desination Folder:===c:\] [Zip File Name:] [Source Folder:===c:\] [File Specifcation:]

The use of [===(drive spec/folder)] means to select a folder (on C:\)
The use [(text)] prompts for user input

There are about a half dozen other options but you can read that in the Quikmenu III readme file.

Quote:

I know that they contain memory allocation info, I was merely pointing out that PIF files are not that far removed from BAT files. ANd despite the GUI persona that windows displays, it still has core DOS components.

Quote:

Quote:

or a similar API to seal2 could be implemented within SEAL3 to allow porting of old apps.

So an emulation layer would be of more value than re-writing certain apps ?
biggyp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i'm gonna stop quoting now, thats getting ridiculous

i would say that porting the existing SEAL2 apps would be of more value, especially if SEAL3 does become a cross platform GUI, most of the apps have the sources still lying around.

Gallery

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's not like there are hundreds of Seal 2 apps that makes it worth the effort...
biggyp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there's some nice apps, but nothing that can't be fairly easily ported surely.

Gallery

evil_demon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Hows everything Going??? Reply with quote

Hows everything going?

It seems theres been no posts for AGES!

Anyway, what do you think of this?

(SORRY ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE IMAGES)

Or on a white backdrop:

Tell me what you think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: