SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some ideas for SEAL 3.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Hajj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Some ideas for SEAL 3.0 Reply with quote

Make it have user names, like UNIX and UNIX based OSes, make it look for CD drives/hard drives itself instead of going whit what DOS says.

( The MS-DOS ME Boot disk I have doesn't look for CD drives. My MS-DOS 6.2 disk does, but it doesn't support FAT32 )

Try to make a movie player, and maybe even a Web Browser and Network Setup ! A word prossesor would be nice too. Make the control panel more advanced so you can add fonts, change the "Start" Menu bar, etc.
CronoXG2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Some ideas for SEAL 3.0 Reply with quote

Quote:
...Make the control panel more advanced so you can add fonts...

Or better yet, add a font manager that would be able to install and uninstall fonts, as well as let you preview them.
King Hajj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Fine Reply with quote

I thought that I was specific. Yes, that's what I ment. Another idea, let the user choose what color the close/min/max buttons are and where they are on the title bar.
biggyp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to let users choose the colours of window control widgets we'd need to generate them rather than using bitmaps, could be complicated, of course if unthemed then it would be fairly easy.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
llogiq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: It's about the applications... Reply with quote

Seal can have as much eye-candy as you want, if there are no apps, it will fail. Wordprocessing, spreadsheet, imaging, networking, multimedia, and the usual tools and games are far more needful than your average skinning engine.

I would think that networking (www, mail, news, irc, im) and productivity apps (word processing, spreadsheet, imaging) deserve the highest priority. And maybe solitaire
King Hajj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: And, better yet! Reply with quote

And drop the registry, that's one thing that makes Windows suck. Also, stop using Microsofts Icons for folders, shutdowns, etc! USE YOUR OWN!
ganesh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Registry" doesnt have to be a binary file. It can very well be a text file. The current code base uses a text file, actually a nested INI file. Open registry.dat in a text viewer and see.

Using M$ icons for SEAL is surely illegal, so maybe we'll use GNOME2 icons or use our custom icons. Ofcourse, I am no good at making icons ...

Networking is a very important part of SEAL 3.0. My present plans are to write a singal-slot system for networking on Linux.

Has anybody got networking working under DOS. I know there are binary drivers around, but I am talking about opensource (GPL only)
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as icons go i've suggested sooooo many times to move to GNOME stock icons but no one seemed to bother, for message boxes i've done a set of icons which i can give out the XCFs for if anyone wants them the PNGs are uploaded at the top of this page http://gug.sunsite.dk/gallery.php?artist=123 and should have alpha channels.

as far as the rgistry goes the main problem with the windows one is the amount of junk apps but there and the binary nature of the system, the seal ini style registry is not too bad, although i ultimately preffer the /etc idea used in linux

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Networking Reply with quote

I think under DOS we should interface directly with Packet drivers since they are the defacto standard. Also, we should emulate NetBios and impliment a minimalist subset of BSD Sockets...

There are many well documented TCP/IP Stacks for DOS, Wattcp is the most popular, but TCPABI is another well documented standard with GPL drivers available. The difference between the Wattcp and TCPABI approach is portability.

With a TCPABI driver, other DOS Apps in any language can talk to it. Wattcp on the other hand has to be included in the application...unless we impliment our BSD Style sockets with WATTCP and plug API calls into it, but that still leaves other DOS Applications in need of a Socket layer.

If anyone needs help with documentation, Interrupts, RFCs, etc. Let me know...I will see what I can dig up.

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
King Hajj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Oooo! Another idea! Reply with quote

Make Seal 3 compatible with Windows 3.x programs. And ( if you can ) Win 9x.
ganesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh Yeah ! Do M$ 10+ years of work !

If I take "compatibility" the way I know, then SEAL 3 Windows Port should have no problem running along with other Win32 programs. Ofcourse, It will take the whole screen, but then you can run it in a window.
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oooo! Another idea! Reply with quote

King Hajj wrote:

No, No, No, No, No.

It's been said many times before, and there are 4 more. Seal DOES NOT Need or want to be Windows compatible.

If you didn't hear No enough put the following at the top of your System's Autoexec.bat file

@echo off
:top
echo No!
goto top

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second that, despite the fact that it would be very difficult to write a win32 or even win16 emu for SEAL it's always better to have native apps it's like having wine on linux, it's nice to be able to run windows apps but it means you end up with lazy companies like Corel partially porting apps such as Wordperfect.

[no.bat]
@echo off
:1
set whatamossaid=No!
echo %whatamossaid%
start no.bat
goto 1

Gallery

ganesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

for(;;)
printf("No !\n");

Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

[no.bat]
@echo off
:1
set whatamossaid=No!
echo %whatamossaid%
start no.bat
goto 1

I guess everyone has their own way....but the start no.bat nullifies the goto 1...and start is not actually a valid dos command without Windows....

unless....

Code:

[start.bat]
call %1

....all better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: