SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ogg Vorbis driver for SFA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Ogg Vorbis driver for SFA Reply with quote

In a few days when I get my new system up and running (tomorrow, I hope), I will release an Ogg Vorbis driver for SFA - I have got code for Ogg Vorbis with Allegro, so it should be quite easy to get it to work with SFA.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds very cool, it'd be great to be able to play OGG in SEAL.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hustedt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but i really don't know what Ogg Vorbis is?
Is it a game, or a multimedia format?

My new site!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ganesh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGG is a format like MP3, only it is open source. No body can sue you theoritically for using OGG files.

Owen, this is great news. Should I start going through SFA headers and sources to include in the next preview ?
dr_linux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yahoo! i have for two years now used the ogg vorbis ... that's a great news! but my problem is still the audio-mixer, where the level is set to max and you hear only a wisper ...
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganesh wrote:
Owen, this is great news. Should I start going through SFA headers and sources to include in the next preview ?

You mean go through the sources to make them work with your preview versions? If so, yes, please do.

On a note related to Ogg Vorbis, you may be interested in this. Some guys have modified the Vorbis libraries to get even smaller files. Considering how small they are, the quality isn't bad at all:

http://sjeng.org/ftp/vorbis/queen.ogg (5.3kbps)
http://sjeng.org/ftp/vorbis/ss.ogg (6.3kbps)

Only a couple of hundred kilobytes for the whole track! Anyway, for more information on Ogg Vorbis, see www.vorbis.com.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hustedt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay, thanks!
That new feature will be great...

BTW: Ganesh: Will the new Preview be downloadable as binary too?
Or could you at least post a screenshot?
It's strange but I never saw the shot on your page...
When the f*** are you online?!

My new site!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ganesh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, but I cannot provide binaries for now. Allegro programs refuse to work on my other computer with WinXP. Ill try to get it working on another computer, if possible.

And sadly, all my drives are NTFS, so I cant even boot to DOS through a disk.

I first thought Ill put up a screenshot, but then thats only a grey screen with a mouse pointer and a sick looking window. Maybe in two more previews, its appearance will improve.

I am not concentrating on appearance for now, that will come later.

BTW, I need a port of that skinning engine from SEAL 2.0 sources. Actaully I am thinking of splitting the bitmap into 9 regions beforehand. SEAL for now splits it into nine bitmaps every time it draws. Thats a hog.

You want me online on MSN ? I use a program called AMSN and it sucks. Ill try to logon to MSN more often.
hustedt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.
Why don't you use trillian? (www.trillian.cc)
What do you mean with 9 images?
I would like to have a skinning system which uses 4 images for the corners and 4 for the middle...
(like in keWlPaD)
IT does not pixelize the image when a huge window appears, cause it only duplicates the middle things as often as need...

THX

My new site!
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also be able to create a simple Ogg Vorbis encoder (WAV to Ogg) and decoder (Ogg to WAV) fairly easily, once I get the rest of my new stuff.

ganesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hustedt,

I dont know if trillian works with Linux. I have used lmme and not I use AMSN. I like the chunky TCL interface.

FYI,
The bitmap is split into 9 regions
Code:

//0 //1 //2
//3 //4 //5
//6 //7 //8

Of this, only 4 must be strecthed and slight strecting only along one side with 1,3,7 and 5.
0, 2, 6 and 8 must be as it is. So this is what I called nine bitmaps (or sub-bitmaps).

In the current source (skin.c from SEAL 2.0) the nine bitmaps are made everytime you draw. And that is quite a performance issue.

What I suggest is that we make the nine regions before hand, and then draw it. So theres no mathematics involved when you draw. And it does not take more memory (except for those small members in BITMAP , I havent checked the source yet)

Owen,
how will this be implemented ? As an API or as a program. I suggest you make an API so that it usable with Seal 2.0 too.
hustedt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: right Reply with quote

Okay, did not think about the middle main thing (img #4) ...
Thats great normally the middle is just a colored rectangle, but to use an image for that is much better...

My new site!
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganesh wrote:
Owen,
how will this be implemented ? As an API or as a program. I suggest you make an API so that it usable with Seal 2.0 too.

I am simply compiling libogg and libvorbis on SEAL. There will be the following XDLs:

• ogg.xdl - Ogg file reading/writing
  • vorbis.xdl - Vorbis decoding
  • vorbisenc.xdl - Vorbis encoding routines
  • vorbisfil.xdl - Simpler Ogg Vorbis routines

All of this is provided in the standard Ogg Vorbis distribution. I will be porting an Allegro interface to Ogg Vorbis to SFA (sfaogg.xdl), and, for the encoder/decoder (oggenc.s2a and oggdec.s2a perhaps?), writing a simple SEAL program that is a wrapper for the command-line based examples provided in the libvorbis distribution.

Paul Crighton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Want to try OGG files for DOS... Reply with quote

Try FMod on your favorite search engine, I think you'll be surprizingly pleased...

Check It Out,
Paul Crighton

BTW - For anyone that is wondering about that 'LOGON' program I mentioned on making available, the Seal 2.00.xx version is finished, however I will be waiting to submit it for our new Seal 3.0 GUI's debut... But if you just must get a sneak peak at it email me a request and I'll send you a 'DEMO' only of it for now! Till then...ENJOY

pcrighton@myrealbox.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I promised the Vorbis driver a while ago. I did write one, but it is very basic and a number of other libraries for using Ogg Vorbis with Allegro have sprung up. I think I'll rewrite my driver with a better library before releasing it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: