SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full utility

View previous topic :: View next topic  
axis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Full utility Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking, what does one expect of an OS?
And then, considering a lot of people would use SEAL in addition to DOS, Win, or Linux, perhaps SEAL could be compatible w/ the Links of these other OS. I mean, at least some utilization of already generated *.pif files, for example.
And another important thing is that people have to install new files. I'm not talking about program installations and the install manager or whatever mentioned before by someone, but just new files. So maybe SEAL3 could have some front-end for command line apps like pkunzip, or lha.
That's not essential because I know RAR includes that features in addition to rar management.
To sum up, the idea is taking advantage (once again I'm talking about this) of already written apps and files but adding in SEAL3 a cool interface.
axis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: SEAL being Universal Reply with quote

The real thing to make SEAL become a really fully-extended GUI is to consider the user as stupid as we can.
If the user has to know something previously then we're not thinking enough. The key of Windows' success is precisely that point, I think.
So SEAL3 should include a *.LN (link) generator app.
The desktop should be fully personalizable, I mean that silly things like auto alignment of the folders or the links.
Oh! one last thing I've forgotten if I posted this before... (if so, I'm sorry) but I think SEAL3 should have strong LFN support and a new filetype registration app.

cU
lukas139

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BS: How come it works under Linux for Ganesh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ganesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two shortcomings with my code.

1. Dynamic linking for DOS.
2. FreeType Wrapper ( this can be fixed by downloading and installing AllegTTF for your platform)

Under linux, the apps are shared objects, and its really simple to use them. Just the dl* functions.

Even windows is really simple.

I am sure DLX supports C++, I have seen Uniforms using it. The only problem with it is that its not compatibel with the new versions of GCC, so I have to virtually rewrite.

Now rewriting 1500 lines of something you dont know is hard, isnt ??

I am facing exactly the same problem with minwg, I got half my code to compile with a lot of hacks in the code. Thats because the gcc there is 2.95.x, and thats real old. Almost a year old.

Hope you were able to compile the code.
lukas139

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dont know why but got the same old errors. And i have already fixed the dlxload.cc file. So this stuff is really bad. There must be a reason that wont let us compile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: