SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network API
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Network API Reply with quote

It's early on, but I think the Network API should be planned as well.

A few ideas I have:

• Executables should be able to run remotely across the network as long as the client has the dependencies.
  • Networking should be an API of it's own.
  • NetBIOS Support for interraction with Novell/Microsoft/Lantastic Networks
  • Interface with Packet drivers for DOS

[url=mailto:18238073@pager.icq.com]Msg@Home[/url]
[url=mailto:154644152@pager.icq.com]Msg@Work[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFS support would be good, and possibly even SMB support with a little help from Samba

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WinstonEwert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In windows we have asynchronos sockets where your window recieve's events when something happens to the socket. Perhaps with the connect thing used to get widget commands.

On the remote runnning, perhaps a video mode could be created that instead of drawing would convert commands into strings and send them across the network.

API:
Definettly support the basic send,recv,connect (duh)
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: API Calls Reply with quote

As posted in one of the other topics in this forum. The API Calls are hashed out into integers...that is how the applications can be communicated....just send and interpret API Calls....Sort of like X and RDC.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ganesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is tougher than what I tought.

Ive been reading XFree86 and Berlin docs. While Berlin structure is similar to what I had in mind, the implementation is cooler.

Implementing SEAL for thin clients (which is a cool idea, anyway.....there is not even a single app to do this right now) is platform dependence.

We have to stick to one platform to implement stuff like this. You can get Networking+Stability+Speed+usabilty+base bins in a single disk linux, but what about other platforms. What about DOS ??

I am still reading docs, if ever we plan to change Seal Display Kit to support thin clients, it will only be for Linux.

Whats the big idea anyway. You could always have linux on a FAT partition using UMSDOS. That way you could boot to DOS, then jump to linux with loadlin....
DaNo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also write your own network drivers, that way you are guaranteed that it is os-independent. However, it is much work

Programmer of the DaNoOS: http://home.planet.nl/~esch0090
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Network Drivers Reply with quote

No one in their right mind would go and try to rewrite drivers for every network card out there. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of NICs, which have had years and years of work put into them.

As for Network drivers, TCP is an open Standard, It's available on all platforms, but for DOS it needs to be loaded as a seperate library.

Linux, Windows, BSD, etc all have a network layer Seal can access natively, DOS, doesn't really have this. Networking comes from LANTastic, Novell, Microsoft, Trumpet, Watcom, and a few other places.

The networking capabilities should be there, but disabled in the DOS build. Once a TCP/IP interface is created for the DOS version of Seal, they should be enabled.

As for dual-booting into Linux, I don't like it...it leaves End Users with their mouths hanging open asking questions. If Seal is to be User friendly, it needs to work completely and natively on each target platform. That should be part of the manifest for Seal 3.

oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Networking, I think, is probably the next big thing we should be looking at. Without networking, we have no internet. Without internet support, we will have little luck getting many people to even give seal a try. Although I'm referencing the Seal2.0 source code, this is still relevent. Since the only working version of Seal that we have right now is for DOS, we should be looking at networking for DOS. Possibly the easiest way to get this to work (although still quite complicated) would be to use readily available packet drivers. This is the way it works under Arachne (a DOS web browser, in case you're not familiar with it), and even though it's not perfect by any means, it saves us from writing drivers for now. If anyone has any ideas on how we could implement packet drivers under Seal2.0, even if it has to be done directly from DOS, I'd love to hear some suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amos Vryhof
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Packet Drivers Reply with quote

Since 1.0, we have talked about adding some sort of wattcp library based on watt-32 (which is what Arachne uses)

There were two sealsocks libraries released, but source code never appeared. Pablo (oh where oh where ever did he go?) also had a working HTTP Get implimentation, and Callum claimed to have a working IM client (which none of us ever saw, so either it doesn't exist, or his work was all for non)

As for other solutions, I have been able to develop some PowerBASIC applications using the trumpet TCPABI interface for DOS, and my packet driver but the TCPABI interface, though independent of a specific library) is limited to 8 "sockets".

The best place to start is to make a new sockets library for Seal using WATT-32 (dhcp and bootp are needed) and implimenting methods similar to the MSWINSOCK control provided in Windows.

http://www.vbip.com/winsock/index.asp

oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad all that stuff is lost. Oh, well. I'll have to look into it a little more, and see if I come up with any ideas. Wattcp seems like a good way to go, and it would certainly be simpler than writing everything from scratch. I guess we'll see...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we have to keep in mind is the fact that not all modems are the same.. i mean that we have hardware and software modems, so it will be hard to build a driver capable to handle both...

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

software modems (or winmodems) are a nightmare, its tough to get them to work on Linux, let alone SEAL
biggyp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but supporting hardware external modems shouldn't be too much of a problem

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oyama26
Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, same goes for internal hardware modems. NIC support should probably be relatively simple, too.
biggyp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends very much upon the NIC in question, as long as they're NE1/2k compatible that should be ok though.

Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: