SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Suggested Structure of Seal oS 3.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardnet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Structure of Seal oS 3.0 Reply with quote

hi dev team

my name is leon franken, aka hardnet. resident in Cape Town R.S.A.
i have just tried out your seal v2. outstanding, simple and to the point.
congratulations on a well-done project. i know you may have some issues that need to be resolved for seal v3 and i ask for your patience as i describe what i envisage as seal v3.

programmers in general seem to get caught up in the latest and sometimes craziest developments that there are in the programming world, and i can understand that it must be difficult to find the balance that your users are looking for. but at the end of the day it is your users who make or break your product.

programming design has come a long way from sequential statements to a full object-oriented structure, and still there seems to be this need to accelerate at all costs at the expense of size, effiency and portability.

below is a foundational model which could easily be adapted to seal v3.
simplistic by nature it misleads, but viewed a little closely...powerful.

in theory any system should be able to be broken down into 3 main components. in a computer excluding the physical machine you may classify this virtual machine as:

the operating system
the software and,
the data

now, however you choose to make your paths straight is up to you, but entertain for a minute without the constraints of language, an ideal system that is easily grasped by the novice too scared to click a button for fear of trashing his harddrive, but powerful to the superuser who demands a machine that will obey his beck and call. i propose SPeeD for SEAL3.

SPeeD is not a language, its a configuration of data.

SPeeD is how the basic building blocks of a system are put together.
in essence, once the machine is running, it is at this point that SPeeD comes into play.

using whatever boot procedure you like, you come out into a heirachy of data in it's simplist form.

S = system
P = program
D = data

for the novice user, a simple SPeeD setup is best, one harddrive, one partition, 3 root folders.

for the semi-advanced user, a SPeeD configuration would entail:
one harddrive, 3 partitions and each partition renamed to system, program and data or any order the user requires.

for the advanced user, a SPeeD configuration would entail:
3 harddrives, renamed to system, program and data (not in that order if so required).

furthermore, a fourth SPeeD configuration allows the user to burn his system and/or program and/or data to a Cdrom in effect becoming a cdOs (compact disk operating system).

why the fourth? primarily security, if i don't want my kids playing with my operating system i take it out the cd tray when i shut down. i browse the net and don't want to be tracked by snooping web-users, i want an uncluttered harddrive with a golden image of itself on cd, if i get hit by a virus, i shut down... boot up... and its gone... if it can fit on a 200Mb Writeable cd, even better! i put it in my pocket and go to work.

below is a slightly expanded heirachy for a SPeeD configuration.
the info in brackets () relates to its specific sub-heading only.
the description is not by any means exhaustive.

System
..boot (image of boot disk, help, docs...).
..command (kernel, command.com, ibmio.sys... flexible ).
..config (system settings, user preferances...)
..driver (sound, graphic, mouse, keyboard, mainboard, help, docs...) .
..gui (SEAL v3).
..hardware (config, diagnostic, monitor, help, docs...).
..servers (BeOS like... network, modem, file convertors[eg: bmp2jpg]...).
..utility (text editor, hex editor, regedit, clock, help, docs...).

Program
..my program 001 (folder)
..my program 002 (folder)
..my program 329 (folder)

Data
..my data 001 (folder)
..my data 002 (folder)
..my data 176 (folder)

what this model gives the novice user, is an understanding of where everything fits in place. what it gives the semi-advanced to advanced user is seperation of data over multiple partitions or drives... one crashes and two will remain.

the aim of SPeeD is to make information manageable even to a newbie, once the classification of data is understood it can be ordered. there will always be gray areas, but then again all we can do is recommend and refrain from prescribing. let SEAL3 be fun and flexible without losing its focus on effiency, compactness and accessability.

leon franken

if you would like to respond to this suggestion please contact me at
www.hardnet@websurfer.co.za

SPeeD for SEAL3.
lukas139

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hardnet. I lived in Pretoria for 4 years too, so we were kinda close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise some interesting points. However, SEAL is just a GUI, not an operating system. Multiple "usability levels" could be an interesting feature though.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul Crighton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to Hardnet... Reply with quote

Hey Hardnet (Leon) ~

First off, welcome aboard our team, we are happy to always get new team members here.

Second, I would have to agree with you. Seal 1.0 (A - E) brought into play a new compact, efficient GUI made for DOS applications of a sort. Where Seal 2.0 (A - Z) gave us an even more efficient GUI, nearly as compact as Seal 1.0x with all sorts of eye candy. Now here we are embarking on a new version, starting from scratch and with fresh new ideas to put into retrospect, anyways I agree and think we should seriously think about making Seal 3.0x into a full OS/GUI status. Our only real drawback is the lack of true developers dedicated to Seal alone, even though this is a leasurely assembled GUI; doesn't mean that we shouldn't think of the future of our wonderful GUI. We don't lack new ideas and talent, what we do lack is motivation, speed of completion, and team effort - now I say this due to our shaded past, however this is a new era of uncharted territory and I personally think we just may make it this time. Successfully, the first time around with little to minimal conflict's.

Can't we all just pull together for once!

Regards, Paul Crighton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
hardnet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Suggested Structure for Seal oS v3 Reply with quote

hi dev team

thank you for your replies to my posting, i appreciate your time. since i last visited Seal i have a few interesting results of a mini project i have been working on. it raises the issue of a cdR bootable S-ystem, based thus far on Freedos b8 and Seal v2.

the project has unfolded in two initial steps and will move on to accomplishing a third vital step.

one: i have setup a harddrive [180Mb] to accomodate a w95dos S-ystem and burnt it to cdR [200Mb], setup was quite straight-forward, i had to make sure 'harddisk emulation' was configured. the proto worked as expected and i got a virtual harddrive operating system off a cdR.[i changed my cmos boot sequence to cdrom first].

two: i then setup another drive, smaller size +- 40Mb, and got Freedos to sys it. i set up S-ystem to work as configured and was expecting the same result. surprize... at some point during a cold boot after the bios and cmos have done their vital task, the Freedos b8 kernel begins to load..

Loading FreeDOS...
ROOT FAT_ (flashing cursor)

frozen! i power off manually, no keys work, only manual power down. the object of this simple exercise was to check fdos compatibility with cdR media and to raise an issue about Seal v2. during the initialization of Seal, is it heavily dependant on harddisk writing for it's operatibility. if a user wishes to configure Seal to cdR, will it load?? Also, how harddisk write dependant is Seal for its general running and termination? if Seal is to be configured as an option for cdR media this issue could be covered in a little more depth.

three: not yet done: using msdos 6.22 for now (by the way, although i enjoy the freedom of gnu and gpl, i still use some licensed products to test my configurations) i intend to configure Seal v2 to load at the prompt and check it's dependance on harddisk writing, if it fails this simple test, i believe an issue will have been raised. i will keep you posted.
lukas139

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youd like i could create you a List of some functions.
Firstly these things would have to modified:

Code:

DEBUG_print() - used about a trillion times thru start up.
set_registry_key() - writes some stuff when youre shuting down Seal.

Well theyre probabbly more that i cant remember.
biggyp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardnet: FreeDOS beta 8 already boots quite happily from CDs, SEAL2 could start from a RAM drive, or rewrite it a little to load registry and other bits and pieces from RAM drive and the rest from CD. if you're going to use a non GPL DOS then at least use a legal one, DrDOS for example.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hardnet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: re: suggested structure for seal os v3 Reply with quote

hi dev team

looking at seal, are you going to modularize the development of this gui?
if so, perhaps it would be handy to do a development layout, so certain targets can be reached. what do we feel is lacking? how do we want it to be structured? what language are we going to use? do we have agreement? the road ahead starts with a plan, and unless i missed the link, i haven't seen that plan yet!

leon
I-chat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: one way to solve could be......... Reply with quote

i might think that if we realy wanna boot seal from a CDrom, we might consider either using a 2ram-drive, or better yet just use a config diskette,
as far is now most pc's stil have one, ore if they do't we could easely implement the structure tot write data to a USBmemorie stick...

(hey just an idea ) ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: