SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Big Five
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukas139

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: The Big Five Reply with quote

Okey, so here it is:

I have started coding a GUI from scratch (in C) and of course its name is Seal3. Im looking for four people that are willing to work with me ( coding and allegro skills ). Im tired of you people talking about porting apps nad stuff, we have to do something to make Seal3 happen first. So anyone willing to work, just post here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm afraid i wont be much help to you, but good luck to you and all others embarking on the project, will help with graphics if required.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have time, I am willing to help. But I am very busy just now.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might consider it if you use the Seal3 technology previews that ganesh did this summer. they were really good, and I know them pretty well.

sad that ganesh disappeared...
biggyp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is rather, wonder what happened, trouble is, i think lukas wants to use C rather than C++

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that his problem. there's no real reason to use C. but i don't care too much.

see yah!
lukas139

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me which good GUI is in C++; For eg. one problem it the dll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever heard of kde?

nevermind, i won't discuss it. just leave it at that.
lukas139

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not a GUI, its called a DESKTOP ENVIROMENT. GUI that were in C++ were Paws and Unifroms - just look how they ended up. Im not sying its impossible to write a GUI in C++ but its just much more work.
I dont know if i just should drop it, everyone just keeps ...
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i know KDE, but i'm not fond of QT

The Paw's development ceased because the developer didn't have enough time for it, and he couldn't get round to making it compatible with newer GCC versions, if there were some more developers working on it then maybe it would've been more succesfull, uniforms development stopped for similar reasons, well, at least with reagards to GCC compatibility, and SEAL2 has the same problem.

will it really make much of a difference wether it's written in C or C++, especially since there's a working c++ base for seal3 already availible.

Gallery

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tow best optiones (I think) would be to:
* Take up development on the Seal 3 base that already exists (C++)
* Bugs-quash and clean current Seal 2 code base

To start something new again isn't really a good idea. Especially when you already have code bases in the two languages of interest...
Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gui or desktop environment. whatever. Qt is written in C++ and it does pretty much exactly the things we want seal to do. except we need to deal with task-handling and such too.

and I have to agree with biggy, i'm not too fond of Qt either, but for other reasons than the programming language used.

i'm not trying to make an argument for/against c or c++ i just want to use ganesh's seal3 because it _exists_ and it's good. let's face it, which programming language is used won't matter much anyway!!!
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finkelsmak Kvasthuvud wrote:
gui or desktop environment. whatever. Qt is written in C++ and it does pretty much exactly the things we want seal to do. except we need to deal with task-handling and such too.

and screen drawing, hardware etc., but i guess that's going to be down to Alleg anyway.
Quote:

and I have to agree with biggy, i'm not too fond of Qt either, but for other reasons than the programming language used.

it's good point is the whole C++ thing, i dislike it for various and numerous other reasons.
Quote:

i'm not trying to make an argument for/against c or c++ i just want to use ganesh's seal3 because it _exists_ and it's good. let's face it, which programming language is used won't matter much anyway!!!

well, whatever the programmers decide on.

Gallery

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is it going Lukas? Have you succeded in gathering a group for the development of Seal 3?

An alternative is to stay with the current flawed C-code base and improve it as time goes on... That is possible you know.. I started the code cleanup initiative for half a year ago or something and we actually got some stuff done, even though that was more about cleaning code syntax and explaining functions... But to audit the source code and cleaning bugs out would be a possibility, though not as fun as rewriting it..
lukas139

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit. Am sorry folks, but dos GUIs have no future. Im moving on now. Am going to develop commercial software for my company. But of course ill take a peek here sometimes.

And my last quote:
Quote:
Some people were right - Seal3 would start the death of Seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: