SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Big Five
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dos software have never had any future.. if you think it would take some market from MS or Apple or Linux... Dos software is a niche. That doesnt mean that dos programming is futile...

Seal isn't dead, but the development have ceased for the moment.. which isn't the first time in Seals history I think..

I am very sorry to say this, but I think Seal needs an active project leader that takes the project forward by coding and motivating others. I like Owen, he's a very good guy. But I don't think he's the right person to manage this project, not for the moment anyway. But this is not something I say because I want the power, because I don't, I don't have the time for pushing Seal in the right way. I just said what I thought... Maybe Owen can stay as project lead, but I think he has to change, and be more forward in his thinking and doing som coding, to show that Seal isn't dying..

I am doing dos programming right now, and hopefully I will be able to make it useful for Seal folks (making it a Seal program) but we'll see.. my studies takes a lot of time...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many of the previous SEAL maintainers, I don't really have time to work on SEAL any more, at the moment anyway. If there is someone out there who is an able coder, a good manager and willing to take over managing SEAL, then post here, and we can have a vote on it. I would quite like to stay back as "Technical Manager" of the web site, forums, SourceForge and so on though, if that's OK. Mr Green

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said, it is nothing personal...

But I don't think there's anyone able to take over... at least not anyone I can think of... Too bad, 'cause I realize that you don't have the time either...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might stick a message in the SourceForge Developers Wanted thing perhaps, if we get no response here (which seems likely, to be honest ). I'm losing interest in DOS a bit - not completely, but I'm doing a lot more web and Windows development than DOS development. I still have a nice Windows 3.1 installation and so on, and like playing with it occasionally, but I'm losing interest in programming for DOS a bit. I just don't have the time... *sigh*

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hustedt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity!

My new site!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Allekto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: New Seal Maintainer Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

i just found this webpage, i worked woth seal 1.x some time ago. It looks really nice.

What i'm wondering is, isn't it possible to retarget Seal to other platforms like Linux or Windows, since it's written in Allegro?

You could create a multi platform GUI for embedded Devices. That would be a much nicer market for Seal, than just the old DOS folks.

Just my thoughts,

Cheers

Gunnar Beushausen
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cross-platform compatibility was one of the main targets for Seal 3.0. Personally, I still think Seal 3.0 is a good idea, if people actually work on it.

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is the problem... we have a very good project but no one want sot work on it...

I like the old seal version as well, i am actually developing a program for it right now, really fun actually

Nowadays when I know Seals source a bit better I think it's a miracle every time Seal starts up.
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way... Lukas? I would really like to have a copy of your updated version of The Desktop... The link you provided didn't work... I just want to .c and .h files nothing more...
Darragh McNally

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sad to see you step down as maintaner Owen, and as david said i dont think anyone is capable of taking over. This is the first time ive actually read the forum in a long time, whats happening with seal 3 now? and have you totally abandoned seal2 which i always believed was very good?
lukas139

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose what you want:
http://cubeos.host.sk/download.php
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darragh McNally wrote:
I'm very sad to see you step down as maintaner Owen, and as david said i dont think anyone is capable of taking over. This is the first time ive actually read the forum in a long time, whats happening with seal 3 now? and have you totally abandoned seal2 which i always believed was very good?

Well, if the new maintainer (if there ever is one ) wants to carry on with SEAL 2.0, fine. If they want to go ahead with Seal 3.0, also fine. SEAL 2.0 does have many fundamental problems though.

_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukas: I have some very serious problems when I try to download the sourcecode... it stops and says it's complet long before it is... first time it stopped on 80kb second on 124kb and now third time on 1mb, it's very tiresome to restart the download all the time and not getting through... You can't just mail me The Desktop specific files? The should be very few and small when packed in a zip...
biggyp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hustedt wrote:
What a pity!

ever heard of antialiasing?

as for the download not working, i'm afraid you'll need to wget or getright it, host.sk is terrible.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evil_demon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Oh my god Reply with quote

I might only have joined the SEAL forums earlier this year, and I might not be the most active poster in this forum, but I have been following SEAL for a few years. I will say now - I think SEAL still has a future. I think it would be a real shame to see something like SEAL die out.

SEAL3 has not started the death of SEAL, it has just presented us with some new challenges, DOS GUI's are NOT finished for good, all they are is slightly behind the big commercial operating systems like Windows and MacOS. What SEAL needs (in my humble opinion) is an injection of energy. SEAL needs someone who can motivate people and has a vision of what SEAL should eventually achieve (this is NOT intended to have a go at ANYONE by the way).

I'm not a good coder, but if there is ANYTHING that I could do that would help SEAL3 become more of a real thing, let me know.

I'm sorry to see Owen step down as maintainer, and also to see Lukas go.
I just hope that this will not have a negative effect on the SEAL development, or SEAL3 really is doomed. We need to pull ourselves together and make sure that SEAL3 is something that everyone will look at and think - 'wow!'.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> Seal 3.0 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: