SEAL Forum Index SEAL
The SEAL Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damn...been awhile..`
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGX22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definatley talking about QubeOS... not Cube.

I know it's propreritary, but it's also dead, effectivley abandonware (I hope...) If I can get Michal Stencl to allow me to continue QubeOS, pretty much take it over... If I can get QubeOS like that, then I would be MORE than willing to give you access to the sources of QubeOS. If I can't get QubeOS, despite it's appearent dead state, then I'll have no choice but to figure out how to get seal on linux myself...

How Can I get in contact with Michal Stencl?
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good luck then

And, you won't be alone when porting Seal to Linux, i think, 'cause I've heard others wanting that too... i will mainly work on Seal for Dos but I want Seal to be more modular, and that makes sense in the porting business too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JGX22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have his e-mail?
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGX22 wrote:
I'm definatley talking about QubeOS... not Cube.

I know it's propreritary, but it's also dead, effectivley abandonware (I hope...) If I can get Michal Stencl to allow me to continue QubeOS, pretty much take it over... If I can get QubeOS like that, then I would be MORE than willing to give you access to the sources of QubeOS. If I can't get QubeOS, despite it's appearent dead state, then I'll have no choice but to figure out how to get seal on linux myself...

How Can I get in contact with Michal Stencl?

i personally dont think you have a hope in hell, to be quite frank, michal was totally against OSS the last time i heard, he worked on QubeOS on his own, he produced a good product, but it didn't offer anything special really at the end of the day, as far as we know it had the same problems that S2 does and so wouldn't compile with GCC3.x, thats probably one reason he let Qube die, just because something is dead doesn't mean someone will be happy to open source it.

btw, how competant are you when it comes to C coding?
how much do you know about make files and compilers?

if i felt that there was enough to go on to make porting to Linux worthwhile i would have suggested it a little more strongly, but at the moment i'm waiting for improvements to be made to the code overall and for it to become compatible with GCC3.x to make life easier first, even then i will have to learn a lot more C than i know at the moment.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JGX22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know awhole lot of C. I can compile and edit make file's. But, if you feel this is a pointless venture, and no one seem's to want to help me by doing one thing for me, just giving me an e-mail addy, then maybe there is no point in this at all....

I really would like to see seal running on linux... linux is gaining more popularity everyday over window's. Dos is pretty much dead. Seal on window's is pointless. But getting seal to run on linux as a WM might have a good future. I myself use linux. Main reason I have such an interest as seal running ontop of linux. The seal GUI is good. I like it better than the window's gui. It's faster than KDE, a popular linux gui. Most of the world is making the move to linux. It's cheap (free for the most part). Microsoft is pissed because they can't offer what linux does, a good, stable, free OS, with alot of free downloadable software. I have no doubt's that seal on linux would be a big hit. Sure, there is lot's to do, but in the end it's all worth it. If he doesn't want to release his source's, fine. I'll just have to figure out what need's to be done. If you'd like to help, rather than critisize(SP?), then please do. If you don't want to offer any help, but suggestion's of failure, then I'm just wasting my time as there are other thing's I'm doing right now...
biggyp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry, i didn't mean to criticise, i dont mean that you dont have much hope because of your skill set, but because SEAL2 as is just isn't ready, it may be worth waiting a little while to settle back in before embarking on such a project, as for SEAL as a WM, there's no point, it would involve almost completely re-writing SEAL, a window manager does just that, SEAL is a GUI, more akin to X-Windows in itself.

i also run linux on my home computer, if there ever is a serious bid to make the port then i will support it, and most likely work on it.

but at the moment i can only write basic C programs, i can use basic functions, but i haven't worked with allegro yet.

http://www.qubeos.com/contact/index.htm
http://www.interactivestudio.sk/

may be of help, but i wouldn't count on his co-operation, although it would be great if he could put everything behind him, i doubt it's possible, and i don't entirely blame him.

anyway, dont let me stop you, do whatever you like.

Gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i haven't worked on cube for a while, i dont think luckas has either (have you?) and James, if you are planning to port seal to linux, be prepared for a major work.. first being DLX, and also the next being the VFS, not to mention the differences between DJGPP and GNU C...

if you are willing to try, great, if not, no problem....

E-Mail: DigitalBliss2003@cs.com
MSN: digitalbliss2003@hotmail.com
AIM: DigitalBliss2003

Questions? Contact Me!
lukas139

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not working one Cube anymore, if anybody would like to tkaover just ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_xduffy_ wrote:
When I ran the makefile for Seal, the ogg drivers wouldn't compile... i don't know why, i haven't looked into that, but that's the only thing left that doesn't work rightaway anymore...

You probably didn't have the Vorbis headers or libraries. The version in the files I sent you doesn't work properly anyway, IIRC. I wrote a new version the night I posted that message on this thread, but it didn't work properly - I had to go pretty soon after writing it, so didn't get a chance to investigate.

Currently Playing (last time I was online, anyway):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I wait for the ogg drivers?

I wanted Seal 2.00.12 out this week, but I realized today that it isn't possible, sorry... Hopefully quite early next week, though... The problem now you see is that I have school stuff to do and I will be away over the weekend (with school), so it's kinda tough...

But hold on!
biggyp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukas139 wrote:
Im not working one Cube anymore, if anybody would like to tkaover just ask.

does it have any advantages over S2 at the moment? if so there's no reason why those advantages can't be rolled back into S2 anyway, lets focus here guys.

Gallery

Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, cube does take advantage of skinned scrollbars, and my hbar package installer

Questions? Contact Me!
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, skinning of scrollbars is included in Seal 2.00.12 too... and it's done with the new skinning system (== much neater).

You hbar package installer isn't included at the moment, but if you explain why it should be included I might do it. Is it possible to create hbar packages somehow? Can it modify the registry or executing some kind of script or program from the package?
Iamryan2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can be added, but i have yet to get a copy of it... and yes scripts can be made...

Questions? Contact Me!
_xduffy_
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamryan2002 wrote:
it can be added, but i have yet to get a copy of it...

Get a copy of what? What have to be added?

I will be away over the weekend, I will probably not have any means to access the internet, so... see you on sunday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SEAL Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: